Zero Filling | XM Community

Zero Filling

• 15 November 2017
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Hey All -

I know zero filling (0's showing up in data when they should be missing data, as well as 0's not showing up when they should be) is an issue that Qualtrics is actively working on solving.

In the meantime, do you have best practices/tips/tricks for adjusting the data on the back end?

4 replies

Badge +1
Agree-- Qualtrics does appear to have this issue on their agenda, but in the meantime, we've been advised to use the Legacy Data Export option. When you click "Export Data" select "Use Legacy Exporter" and select your preferred file type. Also, be sure to check "Recode seen but unanswered questions as '0'". You can also code this whatever number that works best, especially if you already have answers coded as zeros.

This export option solves for zero-filling with multi-select questions, but we're noticed it's not a cure-all-- especially when you have display logic on statements. I would suggest working closely with your analytics department to make sure things are populating correctly.

I will say the pitfall I've noticed with using the legacy data export is your applied filters do not hold. In my experience it's the entire dataset or nothing.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR @JenF @lillianc Have you found a solve for this yet? Curious to know how you handle if you've experienced in the past.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@RachelTHREE We are still using the legacy export, but if I were to need the newer output for headers, I would use the legacy and the new and merge them outside of the system. We handle a lot of data cleanup outside of Qualtrics, using a data mapping process, prior to loading it into our database for use in reporting.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks @AnthonyR — good to know that we're not missing anything here as of yet!

Leave a Reply