How to prioritize within a loop and merge? | XM Community
Solved

How to prioritize within a loop and merge?

• 16 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Badge +1
If you are giving respondents a list of 20 brands to indicate those they are aware of, how would you prioritize which brands are carried forward for evaluation in a loop and merge section?
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 16 November 2017, 17:43

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Definitely curious about this as well - SUPER helpful to know for brand trackers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@TiffanyS ,
are you looking to keep the brands in a specific order? For instance, in a question about brand awareness where the client can choose multiple options:
Keurig
Nestle
Mr Coffee

If Keurig and Mr. Coffee are selected, do you want to be able to mandate which option comes first in the looped questions? I mean, have Mr. Coffee come first even though in the first question, it is the 3rd option?

All I can find is that the options within your loop & merge allow you to loop for all selected options and randomize the order in which they appear, but I haven't been able to find a way to make it accept a certain order outside of the order of the question.

This may be old news to you. 😞
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@MichelleC I can't speak for Tiffany, but for me, order doesn't matter... I'd want them randomized.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@RachelTHREE ,
Oh Qualtrics makes that part easy! 🙂 Here's a screen shot from a test survey of mine:
!

Checking the Randomize Loop Order field will cause the selected choices (the looped question answers) to display randomly. Hope this helps!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks, @MichelleC !

Curious to know if there's a way to prioritize the brands within (i.e. tiering the list of brands so that if a participant is aware of more brands than they are "allowed" to see, there's a way to implement a forced prioritization of what they're assigned)?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Weeeellllll, I know you can allow them to only see X number of loops when you randomize. I.e., even if they select 15 brands, they're only going to be asked about 5 brands randomly selected from the list. (That's the __Present Only ___of total Loops option at the bottom there).

Just thinking along the prioritization line, if you're interested in having the participant prioritize the brands in the order that they are most familiar with, you could use a Carry Forward question created from your list. The Qualtrics Support docs on this particular one are really good: https://qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/survey-module/question-options/carry-forward-choices/
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Even better, you can carry forward from a hidden list using a bit of js on the question you would like to hide:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
$('SkinContent').hide();
$('NextButton').click();

});
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@AnthonyR , this is exactly the kind of thing I really need to learn! Thanks for sharing that.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks @MichelleC and @AnthonyR !

I apologize - I don't think I'm describing "prioritization" in a super user friendly way.

Here's what I'm thinking...

Top/1st level Priority brands:
Brand 1
Brand 2
Brand 3
_____
2nd level priority brands:
Brand 4
Brand 5
Brand 6

Participant is aware of brands 1, 2, 3, 5, 6.

If I only have room for a participant to see 4 brands in the loop, I'd want it to assign so that they see 1,2,and 3 (the higher priority brands) and then it randomly assign either brand 5 or 6 (the two aware of in the second priority level) for the 4th brand spot.

Let me know if that makes sense!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Ahh, a combination of my recommendation and a webservice will be most helpful then. You can make a webservice that selects a chosen number of items from a list that is sent, and returns the ones chosen.

I do this fairly often on my side, if you have access to a php webserver that you can host webservices on, I'd be happy to help you work this out.

PM me in you'd like some additional help on this.
Badge +1

Thanks for sharing RachelTHREE . I came across a similar issue as I was developing a survey with a long list of brands. Prioritization or being able to customize the piping of brands based on survey logic like least fill or assignment would be very beneficial. As a data analyst, I'd want to make sure that the brands that I care about have a sufficient base size (e.g., enough respondents were shown said brand at a question) for analysis.

Leave a Reply