How to auto-advance a block and with using the same countdown timer on all pages? | XM Community
Solved

How to auto-advance a block and with using the same countdown timer on all pages?

I have multiple questions separated with page breaks in the block. I want to put a 5 minute time limit on the whole block. I want the timer to carry on to each question (i.e. so the timer does not restart). After the timer is up I want to redirect the users to the end of the survey, even if they have not completed all the questions.
I also do not want the timer to display on each page.

I have found that there is a partial answer to my question here (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/47317718/how-to-use-automatically-move-respondents-in-qualtrics-with-global-timer-for-blo) but I would appreciate any advice that would help me achieve this.
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 5 May 2018, 06:28

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +7
I think using the timeRemaining and ('NextButton').click(); idea from the stackoverflow article above will get you through the pages in your block nicely. If I'm understanding your need correctly here, I believe you will need to set branch logic in your survey flow after each block with an End of Survey element if the time has expired. Could get a little repetitive if you have a large number of blocks, but has the side benefit of giving the respondent a custom end message so they no they ran out of time since you aren't displaying the clock.
I have a similar problem that I am trying to deal with. I have a block of 10 problems, each separated by page breaks. Participants should get 3 minutes to complete all 10 problems. After 3 minutes, they should automatically advance to the next block, even if they haven't gotten to all problems. I do NOT want any timer information displayed to the participant, I just want it advance to the next block after 3 minutes. I tried working with the code displayed above, but it seems a lot of this code deals with displaying the timer to the participant.
I was wondering if I could get some specific instructions on how to set up this 3 minute block timer without displaying the timer to the participant. I suspect it should be relatively simple, I just can't seem to implement it!
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hey @timothygg! Be sure to start a new discussion if you have any additional questions so it gets more visibility from other community members!
Badge +1
Create embedded data before that block with value equal to 300.
And add following javascript code on each page.

!

LZha were you able to find a solution to your question?

Leave a Reply