How to update a recorded responses' answer? | XM Community
Solved

How to update a recorded responses' answer?

Hi,
We are using embedded fields in survey to pre-populate values with in the responses. Once the response is submitted, updating the embedded fields (using update response API) is not showing up in the response (as answers) rather it is still showing the old values.
When i download the response in PDF , i can see the embedded field values updated but the answers are still showing the old numbers.
Is there a way to force or update an answer of a recorded response.

Thanks,
Bkodela
icon

Best answer by Rich_Boits_Walker 12 May 2018, 04:49

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Hi @bkodela3_Schneider

To edit the responses you can follow the steps which mentioned in this documentation:

https://www.qualtrics.com/support/survey-platform/data-and-analysis-module/data/response-editing/

Please check and let me know if you have any query
Thank you for your prompt reply, but the use case we have is updating response via API.
We were able to use Update Response API to update the embedded fields. But the updated values are not showing up in the response.
Explanation: There are certain questions in the survey that are updated from the external system and are rarely answered by the user. So we used embedded fields to handle this use case. Embedded values are showing up for the first time and from their on updating any response that was resubmitted, the embedded fields are getting updated but the answers are still being pulled from old response.
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
If I am understanding this correctly, your embedded data fields are acting as a defaulting mechanism to populate real question responses. I believe your issue here is that the linkage between your embedded data and survey question only exists at survey run time (either through survey flow or javascript).

Unfortunately updating the embedded fields post survey completion won't help you here, and the v3 Update Response API only allows for updating embedded data and not the real survey questions that were presented to the respondent. There is not currently a public API for this.

My next steps here would be:
* Consider updating your reporting to use the embedded data fields themselves
* Consider using the Editing that is available in Data & Analysis
* Consider an export, update, and re-import of your data set post data collection

The name change from updateResponseEmbeddedData in v2.5 of the API to updateResponse in v3 makes me think that updating survey response data might be a feature that is 'coming soon', but that is just a guess on my part. Worth putting in a feature request for the API team.

Leave a Reply