Solved

Power BI

• 1 December 2017
  • 14 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
  • Level 2 ●●
  • 45 replies
Is anyone integrating or sending information to Power BI from Qualtrics? If so, how is it going for you. We are using Power BI to do quite a bit of reporting dashboards for our operational teams. It is still in its infancy, but so far so good. I use Vocalize for my CX studies and other on-going studies, but might look at pushing some of my results into Power BI since so many in our organization will be using it regularly.
icon

Best answer by AbdulDezkam 12 December 2017, 17:37

View original

14 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +4
Hi JenF

I do parse data from Qualtrics to Power BI, where I connect and visualize experience from Qualtrics and process data from our SAP/ERP and Adobe/web.

The way I get the data from Qualtrics is on an hourly basis by utilizing the Qualtrics webservice (api.qualtrics.com) , we parse that over to our Data Lake (Azure environment) .. From PowerBI we connect to Azure where I then extract the JSON data and build my model within Power BI.

In our case, the integration via the Qualtrics webservice automates the responses I get on hourly basis. Meaning that if I create another survey now, it will loop in the survey metadata and its responses automatically in next load. In Power BI I will simply run the same process to extract the new survey into my model.

I am pretty sure there are other ways to do this. Maybe even directly from Power BI, but doing this via Data Lake/ Microsoft Azure gives us possibilities to apply rules/machine learning etc. on our Experience data, which can be used in other projects.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
That said, I would be happy to hear your thoughts on how you plan to visualize CX in Power BI and I can share what how our V1 looks like? 🙂 Let me know if you''d like to catch-up on Skype.
Badge
I am just getting started with PowerBI and also want to bring in my survey data from Qualtrics. Does anyone have a solution that avoids going through something like the Azure environment listed above?
Badge +8
Hi JenF, I'm a little late discovering your inquiry, but I though I'd share how we use Qualtrics and Power BI at our organization. Before I begin, I'll start by saying the solution we have developed isn't ideal. The ideal solution would be Power BI directly connecting to Qualtrics via their webservice and bringing in survey responses on a regular basis. As far as I am aware, this is not possible. I have found that using the Qualtrics API to bring survey responses into either Excel or Power BI comes with a few annoying difficulties. The issue with the old API (version 2.5) was that any changes or additions to your survey which created extra columns in your data would often break the query. Also, version 2.5 of the Qualtrics API often failed after too many requests in a certain amount of time. This is difficult for our organization as we need to report our survey results as close to real-time as possible. The issue with the new Qualtrics API (version 3) is that survey responses are broken up into multiple JSON files after a certain number of responses. After a few attempts, I could not figure out a way of building a query in either Excel or Power BI that can bring in multiple JSON files from an API.

This is what led me to our current solution... I discovered one of the Qualtrics APIs for contact lists, specifically the "List Contacts" API, can be used to bring an entire Contact List (formerly known as a Panel) into Excel or Power BI using power query. This required me to develop some code which works beautifully. Of course, this is of no use unless your survey results are embedded into your contact list. However, pushing your survey responses to a contact list is possible using the Qualtrics webservice within your survey flow (this is the less than ideal part). This requires you to create embedded data from the responses to each of the questions in your survey, then create a webservice that pushes all that embedded data into the contact list you'd like to report from. Next, you would download your contact list (which now has your survey responses) into either Excel or Power BI using Power Query and the code I developed. From there, you can create all the tables, charts and dashboards your heart desires.

I developed this process about a year ago. Since then I have created countless reports and dashboards for our clients with very little issues. If anyone is interested in learning more about this process or if you'd like to use the code I developed to bring contact lists into Excel or Power BI via Power Query, please feel free to contact me.
Badge +8
> @J_Alvarez1 said:
> I am just getting started with PowerBI and also want to bring in my survey data from Qualtrics. Does anyone have a solution that avoids going through something like the Azure environment listed above?

Hi @J_Alvarez1 , see my post above re: Qualtrics data and Power BI. Feel free to reach out if you'd like some additional explanation.
Badge +3
@Matt : Hi Matt,
i would love to get more details here.

Thanks
Badge +8
> @GSSCEAGAppManBD said:
> @Matt : Hi Matt,
> i would love to get more details here.
>
> Thanks

Hi @GSSCEAGAppManBD, feel free to send me a private message describing the specific details you'd like.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
Has anyone requested that Qualtrics develop an integration / connector with Power BI so that we can vote this up?
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
> @Tim said:
> Has anyone requested that Qualtrics develop an integration / connector with Power BI so that we can vote this up?

You suggest this in the NEW IDEAS area of the community board if you are able.
Userlevel 3
Badge +5
What is the path to get to the New Ideas area of the community board?
Userlevel 5
Badge +11

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/2471#Comment_2471Hi Matt ,
Hope you don't mind me contact you this way... I have just been reading up on Power BI and Qualtrics and would be really interested to know how this process is going for you. I have never used Power BI but have used power query a little from within excel and have done a little bit using M code. Our requirements would be to present the numbers we currently have on a CX dashboard in an excel sheet or powerpoint slide or Power BI dashboard where we could then display the figures in a customised and graphical layout - for instance using a background layout which has tables or boxes where we wish for specific numbers to be placed.

I realise things can move on pretty quick with connections and api etc. so would be grateful to understand how complex setting up something like this would be nowadays. given that you wrote your reply in March 2018.

In addition, in the past I've manually exported response data and linked to the data via pivot tables. There is also now a feature to setup regular exports of response data from within the data & analysis section. The trouble with this process is that to get to an actual NPS figure or Average Score (equivalent of using SUMPRODUCT in excel) is very time and CPU consuming. I'd be interested to know if you acquired NPS figures from Qualtrics or had to do this in Power BI / Excel.

Thanks in advance

Rod Pestell

Here is an alternative way to do it which requires no coding https://wxwr.medium.com/syncing-qualtrics-survey-results-to-excel-and-powerbi-using-power-automate-f0cafebeb466https://wxwr.medium.com/syncing-qualtrics-survey-results-to-excel-and-powerbi-using-power-automate-f0cafebeb466

Userlevel 5
Badge +9

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/41114#Comment_41114Your link did not work for me. No information is found. Are you able to provide something else to explain your solution?

Ops I pasted the link twice above, try this one: https://wxwr.medium.com/syncing-qualtrics-survey-results-to-excel-and-powerbi-using-power-automate-f0cafebeb466

Leave a Reply