Carry forward answers from multiple questions | XM Community
Solved

Carry forward answers from multiple questions

• 16 May 2018
  • 4 replies

I've got a series of 7 different multi select questions asking which Bank respondents use for 7 different products.

Am I able to capture all of the respondent's selections for each of the 7 questions (which includes open text), and also de-duplicate in the event that there are repeated answers? I tried using the carry forward method, but it only allows me to carry forward from one question to another. However I would like to carry forward the answers from multiple questions.

Is there a way I can do this by using Javascript and storing the selections into the embedded data field?
icon

Best answer by bstrahin 17 May 2018, 15:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
I don't think JavaScript would help. You can create a question using your de-duplicated choices including piped open ends as the choices, then add display logic to each choice to display only those choices that were selected in the 7 previous questions.
hi Tom, thank for your response! would you happen to know what the best way to de-duplicate the choices are? Right now I'm able to pipe from the 7 questions, but I can't de-duplicate the choices when there are repeats in the selection.

Any inputs would be greatly appreciated! 🙂
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@Amos this isn't the most elegant approach but it should get you what you need. I am assuming you are only allowing them one answer per product.

Block 1 - contains your seven questions with option of adding in text
Block 2 - contains your carry forward question
* Options here should be the Embedded Data fields that are set up below
* Display logic should be set on each option to only show if the Embedded Data field is not empty

Attached you can see the survey flow, which will tell you if the answers the the questions are repeated or unique.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Since I haven't seen it I'm making some assumptions. For the non-open end choices you would just create one non-duplicated list (you don't really need to pipe them). For the open-end choices, you would just pipe all the open end responses and only display them if they aren't empty.

Leave a Reply