For some of the questions, I get a message: "This question not displayed to respondents. | XM Community
Solved

For some of the questions, I get a message: "This question not displayed to respondents.

Please advise why this will happen.

Thanks
icon

Best answer by raejoshu 3 May 2018, 15:31

View original

19 replies

Badge
Did you happen to set any display logic? If (as a result of your display logic) a question, block, or whatever is skipped, you will see that the question is not displayed to the respondent.
Thanks for the assistance- Did not set display logic. Furthermore, this is for all respondent. Some respondents see all questions.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Is it possible that you set an end of survey before this question, or put it in an unreachable branch in your survey flow?
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
If you do not set up the end of the survey or any display logic or branches, I bet your participants just stopped taking the survey.

Is your survey very long? Does it request sensitive or personal information? Do you expect participants to complete the survey for free? This message will display for all questions after the one where the participant simply closed the window and decided to stop taking the survey.

Let's pretend you have a 10 question survey.

If Q1-6 are answered, but Q7-10 are "question not displayed", your participant quit.
If Q1-2, and Q9-10 are answered, but Q3-8 are "question not displayed", the middle of your survey was not displayed to them. This is because you have some sort of branch or display logic that has prevented them from seeing it.
Hi all! I have the same problem. I didn't set any display logic and I know that all my participants completely finished the surveys (participants were physically in a room and they could only leave when they showed me the finishing page). I'm a bit shocked honestly that this can happen, because some participants just didn't see all questions. I won't recommend anyone anymore to use qualtrics.
Badge +4
Hi @MiriamN! We're sorry to hear that this happened, this is definitely not the experience we want our customers to have! If you haven't already, please contact our Support Team! They will be happy to help troubleshoot this situation with you so that you can feel confident about your surveys working as expected.
I'm having this same issue now. It seems some people are submitting their surveys but if I click on "Responses in Progress" in the "Data & Analysis" tab, then click into a Session, the message "Question was not displayed to respondent" message beneath every question. Can someone please help asap? The survey is active and I have a reminder going out tomorrow AM.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi hjoslin,
If your respondent closes the survey, it will say "this question was not shown to the respondent" even though they technically may have seen the question, and then just closed the questionnaire. It will only register as seen when the respondent goes on to the next question block (clicks next in the survey).

Hi,
I have the same problem now which makes my whole research invalid :(
Please help me...
If my respondent closes the survey in the middle - it shows it as "Responses in Progress" (i.e. only full questionnairies should count under the "Recorded Responses")
so why do I see responses (lots of them) with "This question was not displayed to the respondent" under the Recorded Responses?!
I didn't set any display logic

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/37907#Comment_37907please.. can someone help with this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

YSM Don't worry. Download your data (excel, CSV etc.) And you'll see a column called "Progess". If this is 100%, they have completed your survey, either by encountering an end of survey element or the end of the survey.
Incomplete responses will be less than 100%.
Questions that get skipped via branch/display logic are shown as "Question not displayed to respondent". So even if someone has completed the survey, they may not have seen those questions due to your config.

YSM Did you figure this out? I am with you- if you look at submitted responses, these should only be the finished surveys, not the in progress ones. Then what is this "not displayed" thing all about?
There are no display logic that may cause some people to see these questions.

Additionally, progress is 100% on all of these. Anyone?

https://community.qualtrics.com/XMcommunity/discussion/comment/39117#Comment_39117Hi Cocorina, unfortunately no. problem still stands with no satisfying explanation. People keep telling me that this happens when respodants just close the survey in the middle, but I don't get it.. if you find something out, pls do let me know..

Badge

I have the same problem today. I started to hate qualtriqs 😞 since today I get 190 responses, and they just fine. Suddenly today for 5 of my respondents questions didn't display. I used logic display but until today it was working. So why suddenly it stop working?

Badge

Hello, I set up a survey and when I sent the link to some respondents, in some cases, it does not start from the beginning of the survey, though the questions ARE NOT set in random order. Can you please advise? It is very risky for me to send the link to respondents if it does not always work properly.

Badge

This problem may occur if you make changes to an existing survey which randomized some set of questions and then you added some more additional questions. In my case I had randomized the survey for 36 questions. I later added 22 more questions and updated the survey which means I have 58 questions now.
Because my initial survey was randomizing 36 questions, the new survey which now has 58 questions was displaying only 36/58 questions randomly to the respondents. So every new respondent was only shown 36 random questions and the respondent was not able to see the remaining 22 questions.
So I fixed the problem in the "Survey Flow" tap by setting the number now to 58 random questions instead of the old number 36. This fixed the problem of "this question was not displayed to the respondent" for me.
Hope it helps :)

Badge

Thanks to a very kind Qualtrics tech support, they figured out why I was having that problem. I had a flood of recorded responses showing that they hadn't seen the majority of the questions and it's because the 1 week timer was being reached that submits & records their response whether it was complete or not. So it wasn't that my survey randomly started messing up, it's just that the people who never finished it all the way just started getting recorded.

ps I made a community account just to share this response as I was frustrated for hours trying to figure this out

Badge

PLEASE I NEED HELP 

people are filling my survey but it says you have 0 responses

I need help pleasee

Leave a Reply