Spelling Bee, Anyone? | XM Community
Solved

Spelling Bee, Anyone?

• 25 May 2018
  • 8 replies

Badge +3
We'd like to use Qualtrics to administer a Spelling test to our elementary students. Tech support suggested I reach out to people here to ask if anyone has a custom code I can use to block spell check in the browser for those students during that time? Thanks!
icon

Best answer by Matt_Christie_Walker 1 June 2018, 22:02

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I don't have anything already built for this, but would love to help. Which browser will students be using to take your spelling exam (IE, Firefox, Chrome, Safari, other?)

How are you setting up your survey questions - are you using the "Text Entry" Question Type with the "Form" text type?

Would you be able to export your Spelling Test survey and post here? (Tools -> Import/Export - Export Survey>
Badge +3
Hi, Matt!
Love that you're up to this challenge! Students will be taking the quiz in Chrome. Our original question type was fill in the blank, but I haven't experimented with Form text - perhaps that would be the better option. Export attached. Let me know if it didn't come through properly. Thank you very much! Lisa
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
The attached export didn't work for me. It should just be a single QSF file that you post.

I've still made an attempt to disable spell check for you, although I had to make some assumptions about how the survey would be built. Let's assume:

1) You won't add any page breaks to your spelling test survey
2) You prefer to add the "disable spellcheck" code to one place in your survey, instead of adding it to each question individually.
3) Your survey questions are "Text Entry" questions (any Text Type is fine such as: Single Line, Multi Line, Essay Text Box, Form)

Here is the javascript you'll want to add:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page loads*/

/* Disable spellcheck on all input HTML elements found on this page.*/
jQuery("input").attr("spellcheck","false");

/* Disable spellcheck on all textarea HTML elements found on this page.*/
jQuery("textarea").attr("spellcheck","false");

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is fully displayed*/

});

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnUnload(function()
{
/*Place your JavaScript here to run when the page is unloaded*/

});

In my case I added the above javascript to the first question in my survey, which was a "Descriptive Text" question that contains instructions/intro text. To add the javascript, you click the gear icon of the question -> "Add Javascript". Then you paste in the above, replacing the default code already there.

I've only done some basic testing, but so far it seems to work. Please test and try to break it. Let me know how it goes.
Badge +3
Thanks for your time, Matt! When you tested, were you able to see the typed word after it had been entered? I currently only see the letter with circles replacing - as if I'm typing in a coded password. !
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Whoa! That would make for a fun spelling test. In my testing, I could definitely see the words (with no squiggly lines on misspelled words). You didn't happen to use the "Password" option when setting up your question in Qualtrics did you?
!
!
Badge +3
AHA!!! I did have that checked for some reason. 😃
You are awesome, Matt! It looks awesome! Thank you very much. Works like a charm!!!
Lisa
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Excellent! Glad it is working for you. Please let me know if you run into any issues.
[@Matt_Christie_Walker]
This script is working great, but today we hit a snag. Student is signed into Chrome, but spell-check (squiggly lines on misspelled words) shows for him. Any idea why that would happen in this instance?

Leave a Reply