Using Piped Text from Different Groups in PGR | XM Community
Solved

Using Piped Text from Different Groups in PGR

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have a survey where people "rank" a set of items by having them place one (and only one) item into each of the same number of groups (where each group is a different money allocation; so item A gets, say $10, item B gets $9, item C gets $8, etc.). I am then trying to use that ranking in further questions of the survey (where the ranking is which group the item was placed in), but when I use Piped Text from that question, I of course get "1" as the "Rank" for each item, since each item is the only item included in every single group.

What I'd like then is to specifically be able to refer to "the item in the group labeled $10", and the "item in the group labeled $9", etc. as piped text. The "Carry Forward" functionality does exactly what I want (by allowing me to carry forward "Selected Items in Group: $10", for example), but it only lets me do that with one of the groups and not all of them. Display Logic also doesn't work since I'm thinking about a ranking, and not just displaying choices in any order (there's enough choices to rank that it'd be infeasible to create as many different pages that display based on how things are ranked, i.e. if the number of choices were 4 (which is much fewer than what I'd have), I'd presumably have to write a page that displays only if the ranking is ABCD, and another page that displays only if the user's ranking was ABDC, and another for ADCB, etc.).

Any help? This is pretty critical to the functioning of my survey. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by DRRTGCC 12 June 2018, 19:14

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
You might want to contact Qualtrics Support. Since the data you want is in the response file, there may very well be an undocumented way to pipe it. If you find out, please let us know what it is.

If you find there isn't a way to pipe it, you can write an addOnPageSubmit function to find the items and save them to embedded variables.
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Haven't gotten an answer back from Qualtrics Support, but as a (non-ideal) work-around for now, I just made multiple choice questions following all my PGR questions, carry forwarded the item in each group I wanted as choices (using "Selected Items in Group: xxxx") from the relevant question in the survey. Because there'd only be one item per group, that would leave me with just one Displayed Choice per every multiple choice question, which I made hidden and made Qualtrics automatically click to go to the next question with some Javascript.

That way, I can access my "ranking" as piped text with ${q://QID69/ChoiceGroup/DisplayedChoices}, for example.

Not pretty, and required one hidden/auto-clicked multiple choice question per item, but it works, in the absence of a specific feature.

Leave a Reply