Preventing a multi-block survey from ending until the 'end survey' element is executed in the flow | XM Community
Solved

Preventing a multi-block survey from ending until the 'end survey' element is executed in the flow

• 22 June 2018
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +13
I have a survey with 20 response blocks. Each response block is accessed individually via a query parameter 'GoToBlock' (see screenshot below) added to each personal link distribution. After a single response block is complete the survey flow simply redirects to another web application but the 'end survey' element is not executed in the survey flow unless a GoToBlock=CloseSurvey query parameter is called.

This is all part of a workflow where the user can choose a block they want to complete (say Block2 first and then the next day Block1), then leave and complete another response block later. From what I am seeing though Qualtrics wants to save responses to each block as a separate response set for the user (which I do not want). Is there a way to prevent the survey flow from closing the responses for a user so they can complete another block later?

One thing I tried was adding a 'redirect' block after each of my response survey blocks to try and prevent the survey flow from 'reaching the end' after I finished each response block. This is preventing the responses from closing for the user but I am not able to call a second block (Qualtrics ignores my branching logic and goes back to last block I had submitted).

!
icon

Best answer by TomG 22 June 2018, 23:43

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
I think you have two problems:
1. Qualtrics will always do the blocks in sequential order. So, if you skip to Block 2, there is no way to ever go back to Block 1 (unless you repeat Block 1 after Block 2 in the survey flow, but a survey flow like that would be untenable with more than just a few blocks because you would have to cover every possible combination of orders)
2. You can't pass in different url parameters to the same response.

A way around this would be to use a Table of Contents. Although, from what you've described, you'll still need to add some custom scripting to get it to work the way you want.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
> @TomG said: You can't pass in different url parameters to the same response.

That's what I suspected but was hoping not to hear. 😀 I have user requirements that force me to allow users to go in and out of blocks in no particular order. I tested the Table of Contents every which way but that doesn't give me what I need either (mainly the forms complaining when I have validation on the questions and the user is trying to switch blocks in the TOC). I can break the blocks into separate surveys to get what I want but I was hoping to avoid that.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
Not only can you not pass in different url parameters to the same response, you cannot start a response on one computer and finish it on another since IP address is a unique field. If there were a way to pickup a survey session on another computer that would be most helpful. I am not concerned with the IP address of the respondent anyway so if there were a way to not track IP and continue a survey session on another computer I would be overjoyed.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
If the survey is by invitation or through an Authenticator then you can continue on different computers.
Userlevel 5
Badge +13
> @TomG said If the survey is by invitation or through an Authenticator then you can continue on different computers.

That's what I thought but I tested using Google Auth and the survey still generated two response sets when I started on one computer and tried on another (and I did not change the query string on both computers). Did you mean to add the caveat that you need to authenticate against a contact list entry?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Yes, you need to Authenticate against a contact list.

Leave a Reply