New reporting vs. classic; thoughts? | XM Community

New reporting vs. classic; thoughts?

• 27 June 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +6
So new reporting. You've seen it, you've tried it. But do you like it?

Personally I find new reporting to be easier to teach to my novice users, but classic reporting is better for more complex or heavily customized reporting. There are elements to both I really like, but I'm curious what others think. Both can still be buggy (a new report I made yesterday steadfastly refuses to export to PDF), and I know that new reporting is being improved. But what features of classic reporting do you want to keep?

7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +38
The things that I miss the most from classic reports are
* the ability to put display logic on widgets
* display logic on a page
* auto-expanding tables of open-ended data that wrap over one page

I do like some of the changes and have appreciated being able to brand the report better than I was able to in classic reports.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Interesting. I actually found branding the report easier in classic, because I had more control over the look/feel of the tables and could freely move objects on the page.

The things I miss most are the use of piped text, the ability to completely customize a table, manually splitting individual response tables, and exporting to other options than PDF.

Though in the past couple of days I'm having trouble rendering/exporting reports from either tool; they just come up blank.
Userlevel 6
Badge +5
I don't use new reporting at all because text entry questions are limited to 100 responses. I find Classic Reporting to be too time consuming. I pretty much exclusively use Results Reporting now and try to publish online reports whenever possible instead of exporting to Word.
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Hi everyone!

We love this discussion and the feedback going on here. Just a few things - if you're experiencing issues with exporting reports or any other problem that seems like it is not intended functionality, we encourage you to reach out to our Support Team so that your issue gets reported and resolved!

If you have a features that you wish were in the new reports, likewise, we recommend posting this in our Product Ideas category, as it is a feature not already developed by our team. Be sure to review the How to Write a Good Product Idea template and our Ideation Guidelines before you post your idea!

But, please do continue this conversation! We love hearing what you guys think and the feedback you have!
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
I also like that these reports live in the project. That essentially makes them sharable for others to edit, which is a huge help for my purposes. In the old reports I had to build out a template report on numerous colleague's profiles so that they could change the data sources and pull reports at the proper time. It was annoying. The end client didn't like the look of the Results Reports so we had to use the printed reports to get it to a visual look that was acceptable to the end user.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
> @Emily said:
> Hi everyone!
>
> We love this discussion and the feedback going on here. Just a few things - if you're experiencing issues with exporting reports or any other problem that seems like it is not intended functionality, we encourage you to reach out to our Support Team so that your issue gets reported and resolved!
>
> If you have a features that you wish were in the new reports, likewise, we recommend contacting our Support Team so they can get a feature request filed for you.
>
> But, please do continue this conversation! We love hearing what you guys think and the feedback you have!

Emily, thanks for weighing in. Trust me; I contact both VERY regularly. I know we've submitted well over two dozen feature requests for reporting and Vocalize in the past few years.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
> @bstrahin said:
> I also like that these reports live in the project. That essentially makes them sharable for others to edit, which is a huge help for my purposes. In the old reports I had to build out a template report on numerous colleague's profiles so that they could change the data sources and pull reports at the proper time. It was annoying. The end client didn't like the look of the Results Reports so we had to use the printed reports to get it to a visual look that was acceptable to the end user.

Interesting. One of the things I actually wish I could control is that edit ability; the wrong person starts monkeying around with a report and I have no clean copy to quickly replace it with. With classic, I always kept masters of my more complex reports. If I needed to share it to another account, I just exported the QRF file and uploaded it to the other account, and I was good. But I admit I really do like that reports created in one account automatically show up in any shared accounts; save me some time.

Leave a Reply