Getting around "Duplicate Email" setting | XM Community
Solved

Getting around "Duplicate Email" setting

• 11 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
For some reason, when I try to distribute a survey to the same contact list more than once, it says "duplicate email" and will not send. We have lots of situations where we will need to send the same contact the same survey (e.g., each time they report an incident). How can I get around this setting?
icon

Best answer by AnneG 13 November 2017, 23:21

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
One thing you can do is make the email they are sent Inviting them to take the survey unique, such as by adding a time stamp or other unique element to the template. (You can even make the text white so they can't see this.)
Userlevel 3
Badge +1
Bingo - adding a time stamp worked, thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
To add clarity about this, the reason Qualtrics is marking the email as 'duplicate' and not sending is because Qualtrics has an anti-spamming rule that won't send the same email to the same email address within the same calendar day.

Adding the time stamp made the email different, and thus didn't get hung up in this rule. You can apply other piped text to get around this issue if time stamp doesn't match your needed look and feel of the email.
Hi everyone,

Just wondering what you mean by "adding a time-stamp"? Or more importantly, how to do that?

I have a large contact list with numerous duplicates (bear in mind this is a sport participation survey where parents have used the same email address for their children and themselves) but want to send them all the same survey. Consolidation of duplicates doesn't work as i want distribute to all people with the same email address.

Cheers,
James
Hi James,

There is a variety of autotext that can be added to the email templates, one of these items is a time stamp.

To add autotext, click the {A} icon in the top left of the email text editor window.
Select '_Date/Time_' > '_Current Date/Time_' > and the time option that includes seconds.

The time stamp will include the exact time in each email that is sent out, making each email slightly different so they will not be flagged by the spam filter.

All the best,
Aviva
Thank you so much! This is an absolute lifesaver!

Regards,
James

I used the seconds but that didn't work, some were still caught. I used a unique identifier in the email you can create when loading contacts and using the ExternalDataReference column name in the data set. Include that in the email body and it will bypass the duplicate email filter.

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/29208#Comment_29208Tonyp I tried the adding the second's time format too but some emails were still caught up as duplicates. Could you please share what sort of unique identifier did you use? or what did you load in the externaldatareference column ? Did you hide the external data reference in the email body?

Look forward to your response.
Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Does anyone have a screen shot of where they are putting the "time-stamp" to make it unique?

Userlevel 5
Badge +12

Also make the subject line different besides time-stamp.
I had add a time-stamp but with the subject line being the same the emails were not going out like I thought.

Userlevel 3
Badge +5

Hello
I have tried changing the email subject line to make it unique when sending to the same email addresses saved in my "contacts list" however the email goes not get sent.
I see mention in the above thread of adding a time stamp however I do not see anywhere in the compose email screen a "text editor"?
Help!!

Leave a Reply