No Default on Graphic Sliders/ Sliders in general | XM Community
Solved

No Default on Graphic Sliders/ Sliders in general

• 30 May 2018
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +1
I have a question on my survey that requires respondents to choose to allocate a fraction of something between two people. We really want the particular functionality to be a slider (so that each end of the slider is a different person), but do not want any kind of default to appear on the slider (i.e. not even in the middle), since we're worried about things like anchoring and adjustment, people just leaving the default as the answer, etc.

I know there's other question types like matrix tables that have no defaults for the respondent's choice, but since the particular task is an allocation of a fraction of something (and we want the respondent to be able to do anything from 0-100, 1-99, 2-98, etc.), the slider makes the most sense and is definitely what we want.

I've seen people ask this before and unfortunately have not found anything that works. Thanks!
icon

Best answer by LaurenK 10 July 2018, 18:54

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Hi @DRRTGCC ,

If you are using default sliders than there will not be any default value. Qualtrics allow you to set Custom Start Position however if the checkbox is unchecked and slider handle is at the left corner.

Apologies in case i am missing something!

!

!

Regards,
Samarth
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi @Samarth,

Thanks for your response! I actually mean that I'd like the button that one slides on the slider to not show up at all until the respondent clicks on the slider, if that makes sense. So if I don't select a Custom Start Position, unless I'm mistaken, the slider would begin with the "button" on the most leftmost corner, as you indicated, whereas we don't want it there or anywhere at all as a matter of fact (i.e. not even with it in the middle, as a Custom Start Position).

I'm just hoping I could find some sort of CSS or Javascript code that would have the button/tab/thing you slide not be visible at all until the respondent decides, to avoid having respondents be anchored to allocating more to the left corner, or to much to 50-50, etc. Hope that's clearer, and thanks again!
Userlevel 7
Badge +13
Hey @DRRTGCC! Check out this community post to help you get started!
Badge +1
Hi @DRRTGCC,

I am searching for an answer on the same question you had - I need a slider question where the bar is not visible before the respondent clicks - for the same reason actually, not to anchor the responses - I was wondering if you would be able to advise me how to do it. Thanks a lot!
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hi @Elitza_17,

This is what I use. It basically "hides" the button visually for the respondent until they click somewhere on the slider, which gets the trick done. I put this on the addOnload function of the Javascript for the question with the slider.

var s = jQuery("#"+this.questionId);
var firstclick=0;

s.find(".handle").hide();
s.find(".track").on("mouseover", function() {
s.find(".handle").show();
if (firstclick==0) {
s.find(".handle").css("width", "0px");
};
});

s.find(".track").on("click", function() {
firstclick=firstclick+1;
s.find(".handle").css("width", "20px");
});
Badge +1
Hi @DRRTGCC,

Thank you so much – it looks perfect – just what I needed! I really appreciate it very much!

DRRTGCC Thank you so much for sharing the code. I want to let you know that the code doesn't seem to work on some Android devices. My friend tried it on his Android phone and the slider button would not appear. The response would get recorded by the user cannot see it.

Leave a Reply