Best practices for research in Canada - Demographics | XM Community
Solved

Best practices for research in Canada - Demographics

• 16 November 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Has anyone had any experience doing work in Canada that can shed some light on the best way to ask race / sex / ethnicity? We are getting ready to do some new research, and are concerned that the Qualtrics Universal standards may not be right for Canada and some other countries.
icon

Best answer by KatC 17 November 2017, 16:42

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
UCLA released some guidelines for asking about sex/gender in 2014, while it's not specifically related to Canada, I think it highlights suggestions on the best approach to asking about this in a way that's more inclusive https://williamsinstitute.law.ucla.edu/wp-content/uploads/geniuss-report-sep-2014.pdf

I'm not sure about the race/ethnicity part, but one suggestion could be to look at Universities in Canada and see how they break down their student demographics. This may give you a spring board to see how they are reported and maybe give some insight on the language used. May be a good place to start?
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
Good point @AnthonyR. While Native American is an accepted race category in the US it would be Aboriginal or First Nations for Canada.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I do a little bit of research in Canada with one of my international brand trackers. We actually don't ask race/ethnicity to Canadians at all.

@TiffanyS actually does a lot of research in Canada - any thoughts here?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@RachelTHREE Yeah this is what we have heard across the board is not to do it. Unfortunately sometimes clients insist.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR - The caveat here too is that we do consumer/brand research.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
> @AnthonyR said:
> @RachelTHREE Yeah this is what we have heard across the board is not to do it. Unfortunately sometimes clients insist.

@AnthonyR Totally understand!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I think that as long as you list these demographic options with an "Eh" at the end of each of them, you should be good. 😃 I'm not Canadian, but I feel like I have enough Canadian relatives to qualify for making the joke.

Leave a Reply