How can I have a Quota increase by more than one per response? | XM Community
Solved

How can I have a Quota increase by more than one per response?

• 11 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
I recently ran an RSVP survey where individuals could choose how many seats to reserve for their department. The total number of seats were 400 or so. How could I have had the Quota increase according to the number of seats they selected vs. one per entry?
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 13 November 2017, 23:57

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +1
I am using Qualtrics as a registration form and, in the past, have used quotas to ensure only a certain number of people sign up for each session. However, for this survey, people will be allowed to select how many guests they are bringing (between 0 and 3) and I would like the quota to increment based on the total number in that group. All in all, I want 100 people (including guests) for each section. How can I set that up? (I'm not committed to using quotas if there is a better solution.)
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Unfortunately, quotas really aren't setup to do this, they count 1 per response. This could be achieved fairly easily by writing a small web service to track the number of reserved seats.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @AnthonyR said:
> Unfortunately, quotas really aren't setup to do this, they count 1 per response. This could be achieved fairly easily by writing a small web service to track the number of reserved seats.

Yeah, I was just hoping to not go down that road. Have you set those up before for that very reason?
I'm thinking you'd have to check that parameter from your web service at the beginning of the survey flow to check if you've reached max number with according Branch Logic. Then, at the end of the survey, do a fire and forget to update the number from the response.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
So far, looks like the only way to do it is via web services. I wouldn't mind a built in solution though. 😉

https://qualtrics.vanillacommunities.com/discussion/122/how-can-i-have-a-quota-increase-by-more-than-one-per-response
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Clint said:
> > @AnthonyR said:
> > Unfortunately, quotas really aren't setup to do this, they count 1 per response. This could be achieved fairly easily by writing a small web service to track the number of reserved seats.
>
> Yeah, I was just hoping to not go down that road. Have you set those up before for that very reason?
> I'm thinking you'd have to check that parameter from your web service at the beginning of the survey flow to check if you've reached max number with according Branch Logic. Then, at the end of the survey, do a fire and forget to update the number from the response.

I haven't setup this exact situation, but I have definitely done similar things. Your assumption is correct, though I would actually do the check right before you ask for the number of registrants. That way you have the most up to date data possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27

It is still true that Quotas only count 1 per response, but guests can be included in a running TotalGuests count by using a combination of Quota counts, Math Operations, and Branching in the Survey Flow. Say it was an event and you could only bring 1 guest. You could make 2 Quotas: 1 for OneGuests and 1 for TwoGuests to gather the response counts and set the action to None (for skip logic and survey flow). Then, at the top of the Survey Flow, you can use Math Operations and the Quota counts to calculate the current TotalGuests and then Branching to direct all new respondents to an End of Survey Message once the TotalGuest count is reached. If it were 100, you could set it up like the below to end all new surveys. Or, the Embedded Data field TotalGuests could be used for Display logic within the survey.

Leave a Reply