Solved

Respondent opted out but is still receiving responses

• 11 November 2017
  • 6 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
  • Qualtrics Employee
  • 23 replies
One of our panelists called in really angry claiming that he had opted out using the opt out link, but a week later got another one of our emails. I can see that he indeed opted out of the mailing list I sent from. How is he still getting emails?
icon

Best answer by KatC 27 November 2017, 22:40

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Are you sure they opted out of the specific distribution, and not a different survey distribution? My understanding is you can currently only opt someone out of a specific distribution. (If you send them an NPS survey and they opt out, they will stop getting reminder emails for that distribution. But if you send them another survey type or another NPS survey in several months they will have to opt out again.)
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnneF - I was under the impression that one of the key benefits of Target Audience is the ability to opt people out at an organization-wide level rather than just a single distribution...
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
@Dax I don't have Target Audience so that explains it! We mostly use our Salesforce integration to manage our survey fatigue and then we don't yet have a perfect way to handle opt outs.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@Dax - Is this user listed under multiple email addresses?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
It may be that they only unsubscribed from the one mailing list and didn't complete the steps to subscribe from *all* mailing lists. When users click on the opt out link the email, they are taken to a success page, but there are additional hyperlinks there that include "Click here to unsubscribe from all mailing lists." The participant would have needed to select that in order to be removed from the panel entirely.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@RachelTHREE - nope just the one address
@KatC - that was it! Turns out they only opted out of one list...I went ahead and opted them out of all of them but it is good to know what happened so I can explain it better to respondents in the future 🙂

Leave a Reply