Adjust Auto Numbering | XM Community
Solved

Adjust Auto Numbering

• 28 November 2017
  • 11 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Is there a way to adjust the formatting in the auto-numbering feature?

I recently stumbled upon this feature, but couldn't figure out how to manipulate the formatting to fit our best practices.
icon

Best answer by JenF 28 November 2017, 17:25

View original

11 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +9
Can you give me a little more detail on how you want to manipulate? I might be able to help. There is some ability, but it isn't robust enough to renumber based on logic. That is something that would really be nice.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
This feature definitely still feels "early" to me. We use our own standard system anyways, but having tested this, it seems like this is a small taste of what should be possible.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@RachelTHREE if you didn't want to use the auto-numbering, you could add the numbers and the appropriate format into the question itself. I know that's not really what your question was, but...

Eg, "Question 2A.i Did the customer service representative respond to your question in a timely manner?" It'd be more work, but you'd have the formatting you wanted.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@JenF I think I was hoping to input a format so that blocks are named sequentially and then the questions carry on that block numbering as well (e.g., if your block is block 3, then your questions are Q3_1, Q3_2, etc.)
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR Thanks for the context here! I've just been relabeling as I go question by question, but was intrigued when I stumbled upon the feature.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@MichelleC That's what I've been doing - adding as I go! I had just stumbled upon the auto-formatting feature this morning for the first time!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
> @RachelTHREE said:
> @JenF I think I was hoping to input a format so that blocks are named sequentially and then the questions carry on that block numbering as well (e.g., if your block is block 3, then your questions are Q3_1, Q3_2, etc.)
>
This is the type of number I like to do as well. If I understand correctly, you would just use the Auto-Numbering and select the Block Numbering. You could even remove the Q, if you want ( this is what I did in my example below)

!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@JenF Got it - thanks!
This is a question or perhaps a suggestion.

I have a questionnaire which has three blocks.
* Block One is introduction
* Block Two contains questions about subject matter A
* Block Three contains questions about subject matter B

Since we can not display Block Headings as fieldset legends (which would be the accessible way to it), I have to add Descriptive Text at the start of each block.

When I use auto-numbering, there are two big issues which are annoying and time-consuming to fix:

1. the Descriptive text questions are being counted, but should not be - they are descriptive text - and therefore through off all the numbering and requiring that I manually change the numbering
2. I can not use the numbering to help associate questions with the different block e.g. Subject Matter A Block vs. Subject Matter B Block. Ideally I'd like the number for Subject Matter A to be something like A-1, and Subject Matter B to something like B-1.

Please note, _accessibility of our surveys is extremely important_ to our organization and we want to add question numbers. Is there a more efficient way to accomplish the above? Is this something the Qualtrics development team could work on?
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
For descriptive text type you can give Qid as info1, info2 and so on.

For other block questions you can manually change saying Q_A1... and so on.

You have to change manually as autonumbering will not work as we have mix of informations, questions and blocks.

What we prefer:
1) For close ended question we give Qid staring with cq say cq1,cq2.
2) For open end verbatims Qid should start with oq.
3.) For codes , always give others and none higher codes like 97, 99 so that when you run frequencies they should place them at last.
I had same problem as kschoeb1. Basically the descriptive text "question" generates a question number (even if removed) such that the first question is numbered as 2. Problem compounded with each additional block with a descriptive question text as heading.
No real way around it having read the above so I removed all the descriptive text questions, auto numbered the remainder then added back the descriptive text without redoing the auto numbering. Not great but got a reasonable result.

Leave a Reply