Using JavaScript with Embedded Data and/or selected choices. | XM Community
Solved

Using JavaScript with Embedded Data and/or selected choices.

• 29 November 2017
  • 8 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +5
Can someone walk me through pulling Embedded Data and/or selected choices into a JavaScript function? As an example, let's say that I want the sum of numbers from a loop and merge block where it is possible that the user loops through 40 times. Instead of creating 40 different branches in the survey flow each with an equation, hopefully I could just set up a nice little JS function to handle the math.

And the answer is yes, I have done this just because I was too "lazy" to spend the time to figure out and use JS for this survey.
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 29 November 2017, 18:48

View original

8 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Absolutely!

You can use piped text in your JavaScript, so using something like this will pull answers in just fine:

`var answer = "${e://Field/answer}";`

If that answer embedded data is a number, then you should use parseInt() on it to use it as a number in JavaScript.

`var answer = parseInt(${e://Field/answer});`

https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/parseInt

Rinse and repeat for anything you need to pull in, using the appropriate piped text.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR,

That is great info. I searched forever through the Document Object Model to find the embedded data fields.

Any idea how to set embedded data?

Also, I assume that we can use the other piped text types to get other data (ie ${q://QID10/ChoiceTextEntryValue} ).

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@rettweber

Absolutely, anything that can be piped, can be used in JavaScript this way.

As for setting embedded data, you can use:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'embeddedDataVariable', value );

Just make sure that that embedded data element exists in your survey flow before you set it.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR ,

I was testing changing the embedded data and I am having issues getting the code to work. Although I can retreive embedded data, Yay! I cannot seem to get a selected choice from a question and I can't seem to set the embedded data value.

Here is the code I was using ...
I set test_status = require in survey flow as first element.
QID5 is a single select dropdown multiple choice question.
The code is placed in the question Javascript section.
!

The code runs when the QID5 option is changed.
the console shows element1 = empty (actually not sure if null, empty, or space)
the console shows element2 = require
the console shows element3 = require

I am sure I am doing something silly. I can get and change the information using the document object model, but I would prefer to be more direct (ie using Qualtrics functions) as the DOM could change.

Thanks,

Rett

P.S. Sorry I had to include an image of the code. Whenever I tried to include the code I received an access error. I have a call in to Qualtrics support to see what was going on.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@rettweber

Ahh this is a classic case of order of operations.

Qualtrics populates the piped text on page load, not on execution.
So essentially your code once the page loads and it executes is:

Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnReady(function(){
document.getElementById("QR~QID5").onChange = function(element){
var element1 = "";
var element2 = "require";
console.log(element1);
console.log(element2);
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData('test_status', 'changed value');
var element3 = "require";
console.log(element3);
document.getElementById("QR~QID4").value = element1;
}
});

If you check the embedded data on the next page it will have been updated. And if you want the answers to a question on the same page, you will have to parse through the DOM.

FYI: when including code, make sure to highlight all of it, and format it as code using the format button at the top of the edit window.
How do I refer to a choice text in a loop & merge so that it always refers to the current loop?

I can refer to the first loop's choice as ${q://1_QID88/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}
And I can refer to the number of the current loop as ${lm://CurrentLoopNumber}

But nesting the loop number inside the survey question name as below didn't work either in piped text or Javascript

"${q://${lm://CurrentLoopNumber}_QID1/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}"
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@nathanbos - If you have a new question you should start a new discussion rather than adding to an old one.

As to your question, refer to the current loop by leaving out the loop number. For example:
```
${q://QID88/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}
```
Tom- thank you! I will start a new discussion next time.

Leave a Reply