What are your "Top 5 Feature Requests"? | XM Community

What are your "Top 5 Feature Requests"?

• 28 November 2017
  • 17 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
As the title implies, what are your top 5 features that you would love to see added to the platform, and why do you want them?

I'd say my / my organizations top 5 are as follows:

1. Re-code seen but not selected on data export - The ability to re-code downloaded data where the respondent saw an answer option, but didn't select it. This would be particularly helpful for Multiple Choice>Multi-select questions, where answer options have logic surrounding them. The difference between a person who didn't select an answer, and a person who did not see an answer is significant, and unfortunately take quite a bit of work to distinguish.

2. Ability to tab between question names when relabeling, ignoring page breaks - The ability to press tab to go to the next question label for speedy relabeling is great, but page breaks unfortunately break the cycle. It's a small thing that would save my team a lot of time when relabeling questions.

3. More mobile friendly slider types - Sliders are okay as is on mobile, and we have actually done research to show that their use should be minimal. But I have played around with developing sliders that are more mobile friendly, one of those options being more of a gauge style of slider.

4. Built in media player - Would love to be able to stop using a secondary service for video / audio. Preferably html5 player with flash fallback, and control over autoplay / advance on completion / hidden controls / etc.

5. The dream feature, would be an api to create QSF files using a custom scriptable language. - Avoid the ui clutter, work offline, etc by having an api / compiler to build qsf's using some sort of scriptable language, complete with all the advanced features like JavaScript, loop and merge, and others.

17 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
I was going to ask this question!

Feature #1: I'd love to have something like a tree/outline that runs alongside the survey when building so that you can easily flip between blocks, questions, etc. when adding or making edits.
Why: This could be especially helpful when you have surveys with lots of blocks and questions - cutting down on scrolling and editing time.

Feature #2: Having a setting where all questions default to mandatory, rather than optional
Why: Nearly all of the questions asked in my projects are mandatory for participants, so it becomes a bit tedious to check this box in every single question. Additionally, sometimes when you edit questions, the question will default back to optional.

Feature #3: A more robust field management page/area... something that includes quotas, but also tracks pacing of completes, a snapshot of key metrics for the survey (CTR, terms, OQ, completes, participation rate, completion time, etc.) where participants are terming, and maybe even where participants are dropping out.
Why: Making field management easier!

Feature #4: A row- or tile- based question style for multi-select questions.
Why: Depending on the number of rows in the multi-select list, the other styles don't always lend themselves to a good user experience. A tiled look would naturally create rows and cut down on scrolling needed.

Feature #5: (my dream feature) Having some sort of back end where you can access the code for entire survey.
Why: Being able to easily copy/paste questions, row items, logic, randomization, etc. without having to add to the library first, or dupe the question in the UI, delete out what you don't need, etc.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@RachelTHREE For numbers 3 and 4 I have actually built in house solutions to handle these! The tile really only works with evenly sized images, and the dashboard requires an extra webservice call per endpoint, but these are two of my pet projects!

Sneak peek:

!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Whoops... looks like my response accidentally deleted.

Here's the gist of what I said...

1) A tree/summary/outline form of the survey that lives as a sidebar in the UI
Why: Ease of adding/editing questions, especially in larger surveys. Could significantly cut down on editing time.

2) Defaulting to having questions be mandatory, rather than optional.
Why: Nearly all of my survey questions are mandatory for participants... cuts down on the tedious checking of boxes, and safeguards against both missing a checkbox as well as questions that sometimes reset themselves when edited.

3) A more robust fielding dashboard that includes quotas, pacing/timeline of completes, indication as to where participants are dropping out, key survey metrics (CTR, response rate, # of completes/terms/oq, avg. completion time, etc.), and where participants are terming.
Why: Ease of field management.

4) A tiled- or row-based question type to handle multi-select questions where vertical, horizontal, or column layouts fall short.
Why: Better UX.

5) Back end code access for the whole survey
Why: Ability to edit/copy blocks, questions, logic, randomizations, etc. without having to add to the library first or copy out a question and delete what you don't need.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR That's awesome!

Also good to know that others share my interest in seeing some of these features in the future!
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
@AnthonyR

I think my requests are a bit more simplistic, but I would still like to see them tackle them.

1) I want to have the ability to export my data from the projects page. Instead, you have to go to the data and analysis page and then export.

2) Recently they added survey flow to the export survey to word, but I still think it is clunky. I would like to be able to print right from the survey flow page. There are times my survey flow is quite long and complicated. I don't understand why we can't have a button in the top corner that allows us to print what we see.

3) @RachelTHREE - like your #3 as well!
> @RachelTHREE said:
> 3) A more robust fielding dashboard that includes quotas, pacing/timeline of completes, indication as to where participants are dropping out, key survey metrics (CTR, response rate, # of completes/terms/oq, avg. completion time, etc.), and where participants are terming.
> Why: Ease of field management.

4) Reporting - I would like to copy a visualization. Sometimes you go through a bunch of editing and customization and you just want the same look but a different source question. The old reporting allowed you to grab the visual and copy/ paste. Then you just had to change the source question. Saves time.

5) I would love for the question numbers to be dynamic. SurveyMonkey (yes, I said it!) had this ability when I was using it before I switched to Qualtrics in 2011.

Thanks for asking. 🙂
Userlevel 2
Badge +3
@AnthonyR - Love this question and hope that Qualtrics engineers will look here and take action! My suggestions are somewhat basic, but I think they would be helpful changes. Here is my list:
1) Ability to generate test responses on the Data and Analysis screen (rather than having to go back to project page after looking at new test responses)
2) Ability to use data in Vocalize in more than one format. For example, I would like to be able to show a bar graph (as a number set or text set) and also be able to show the mean value of responses (numeric value).
3) Ability to copy one page of a dashboard to a different dashboard (some of my pages have LOTS of widgets)
4) Ability to select multiple widgets and apply a change to all that are selected. This would apply to all settings, but an example would be "show gridlines" or "show data values."
5) In a multiple choice question with an "other" option that has a text response, I wish the text response was saved as a variable automatically, without having to create an embedded data value.

Fingers crossed for these features to be added!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@JenF - What do you mean by dynamic in your #5? Curious to know!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@RondaD - Going off of your #5, I also want my text boxes for multi selects to also live within the box, rather than outside/below them.
Userlevel 5
Badge +9
@RachelTHREE - Let's say you have a survey of 5 questions. If you have logic in place that skips questions, your numbering is adjusted. For example: Q1, Q2 (answer from Q2 drives you to Q5)
With dynamic numbering you would see 1, 2, 3 for your question numbers even though the third was actually Q5. The numbers are based on the order that the user views them.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
> @JenF said:
> @RachelTHREE - Let's say you have a survey of 5 questions. If you have logic in place that skips questions, your numbering is adjusted. For example: Q1, Q2 (answer from Q2 drives you to Q5)
> With dynamic numbering you would see 1, 2, 3 for your question numbers even though the third was actually Q5. The numbers are based on the order that the user views them.

Ahhhh gotcha! We don't show numbers in our surveys — but I can definitely see how that would be at the top of your list if you do!
Userlevel 2
Badge
> @RachelTHREE said:
> Whoops... looks like my response accidentally deleted.
>
> Here's the gist of what I said...
>
> 1) A tree/summary/outline form of the survey that lives as a sidebar in the UI
> Why: Ease of adding/editing questions, especially in larger surveys. Could significantly cut down on editing time.
>
> 2) Defaulting to having questions be mandatory, rather than optional.
> Why: Nearly all of my survey questions are mandatory for participants... cuts down on the tedious checking of boxes, and safeguards against both missing a checkbox as well as questions that sometimes reset themselves when edited.
>
> 3) A more robust fielding dashboard that includes quotas, pacing/timeline of completes, indication as to where participants are dropping out, key survey metrics (CTR, response rate, # of completes/terms/oq, avg. completion time, etc.), and where participants are terming.
> Why: Ease of field management.
>
> 4) A tiled- or row-based question type to handle multi-select questions where vertical, horizontal, or column layouts fall short.
> Why: Better UX.
>
> 5) Back end code access for the whole survey
> Why: Ability to edit/copy blocks, questions, logic, randomizations, etc. without having to add to the library first or copy out a question and delete what you don't need.

@RachelTHREE Your #5 has been my dream upgrade for years! Would make my work a million times easier. I equate this to see and use syntax in SPSS. Once you learn how to use it, productivity goes up exponentially.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @MarkD said:
> > @RachelTHREE said:
> > Whoops... looks like my response accidentally deleted.
> >
> > Here's the gist of what I said...
> >
> > 1) A tree/summary/outline form of the survey that lives as a sidebar in the UI
> > Why: Ease of adding/editing questions, especially in larger surveys. Could significantly cut down on editing time.
> >
> > 2) Defaulting to having questions be mandatory, rather than optional.
> > Why: Nearly all of my survey questions are mandatory for participants... cuts down on the tedious checking of boxes, and safeguards against both missing a checkbox as well as questions that sometimes reset themselves when edited.
> >
> > 3) A more robust fielding dashboard that includes quotas, pacing/timeline of completes, indication as to where participants are dropping out, key survey metrics (CTR, response rate, # of completes/terms/oq, avg. completion time, etc.), and where participants are terming.
> > Why: Ease of field management.
> >
> > 4) A tiled- or row-based question type to handle multi-select questions where vertical, horizontal, or column layouts fall short.
> > Why: Better UX.
> >
> > 5) Back end code access for the whole survey
> > Why: Ability to edit/copy blocks, questions, logic, randomizations, etc. without having to add to the library first or copy out a question and delete what you don't need.
>
> @RachelTHREE Your #5 has been my dream upgrade for years! Would make my work a million times easier. I equate this to see and use syntax in SPSS. Once you learn how to use it, productivity goes up exponentially.

Technically speaking this should be possible using QSF code. but it's just too convoluted to get right in most cases
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@MarkD yes - exactly!

Also super easy to lift out and re-use questions from one survey to the next without having to rebuild every single time!
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
I'm not currently building as complex of surveys as many of you (clearly) so mine are more distribution-related.

1. Out of the box response rate widgets that are very customizable (at survey level not distribution level for survey; you can divide by your company's non-standard fiscal quarter; you can manually enter bounces to be counted out)
2. Same as how the Language field allows you to upload a list of candidates and send them in multiple languages automatically, a time zone field that would allow you to upload one list (not a list for each region) and automatically send at a designated time appropriate to their region.
3. Ability to send as many reminder emails as you like for your integrated surveys under the Salesforce Trigger & Email Survey menu
4. More straightforward ways to test Salesforce field mappings (not just do you have the right API name, but is it also going to come over in a useable format for you, etc.) and view emails with tokens plugged in (preview realistic emails) for integrated surveys
5. Need to be able to clean up recorded survey response data (associated Salesforce data, really) and add new fields to filter on, etc. by data load rather than editing within Data & Analysis. (I am purchasing this ability currently; it needs to be built in for everyone. Never need to adjust survey responses, which I understand could be dicey, so that could be grayed out as functionality.)
Userlevel 6
Badge +7
Also think Vocalize needs some work to be more user-friendly. Specific suggestions include ability to move widgets around more easily (esp. newly-created one at the bottom that you want to move near the top), resize more easily, etc. Would be a game-changer to have an undo option or "close without saving" option. Also very much need to be able to move visuals to a tab on a different dashboard / duplicate a whole tab to a different dashboard, and similar.
Hey everyone - love this conversation and see a ton of great ideas here! Some that I've seen before and some that I haven't even though of!

As of right now, the best way to get a feature request on our team's radar is to contact our support team (qualtrics.com/contact-support). They can file feature requests for you and the more requests something gets, the better our engineering team can gauge how many users want it and the more likely it gets implemented sooner!

Moving forward, our team is discussing the best way that we can use this community to get product feedback and feature requests just like this & prioritize what features you all want to see. We'll keep you posted 😀
Badge

My only feature request at this point is to have a direct link to the default report from the the results tab of the "new, improved version of survey results, featuring modern, accessible UI and data visualizations, new analysis and exploration features, and more". The one from the more basic results page is much more useful to me. I expected also to see a link to the default report somewhere on the "new and improved" page, even if it wasn't prominent.
I use Qualtrics infrequently and at a basic level, so I rely on that report. I got into the "new and improved" interface and could not find any default reporting, got frustrated, downloaded to excel, and made a bunch of basic pivot table to report survey data to my faculty. Once I sent that out, I realized I should go back to the page before I linked on the "new and improved" page. The default report was right there.
I went back into the "new and improved" page and tried to generate a default report from the dropdown reporting menu. It was not at all intuitive that I should add a new page to get to a default report page. Once I did, all it showed was "default report - page 1", which did show all the free text comments at the end of the survey.
I don't know if others are having this issue, but it would be wonderful, and hopefully not difficult, to have a button on each results page so those of use who are not expert at Qualtrics don't struggle.
Thanks,
Sue

Leave a Reply