What is something custom or innovative that you would love to see another user build | XM Community

What is something custom or innovative that you would love to see another user build

• 30 November 2017
  • 35 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
I am always looking for challenging new ideas of things that can be built for the platform. I would love to help make at least some of your wild ideas a reality. I can't promise I will get to all of them, but I will do what I can when I have downtime.

Custom question types?
Interesting Integrations?
Interesting Web Services?
Something fun / unique?

35 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Give me a little bit to jot down a list and come back to you... full of ideas, but not the coding experience...yet!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @RachelTHREE said:
> Give me a little bit to jot down a list and come back to you... full of ideas, but not the coding experience...yet!

This will be even better because you can use the things I am able to achieve to help learn! I'll do my best to comment my code when working on these things!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Thanks, @AnthonyR!

Here's my initial list. More to come...

1) Quad Chart Plotting - I'd love to have a question type where you (the programmer) can define the two axes and then have participants plot items in that chart.

2) Some sort of shelf/shopping simulation. I'd love a question type where we would be be able to simulate a shelf so that you can ask participants which item they'd pick/buy and/or notice first... what sticks out to them.

Let me know if these make sense!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @RachelTHREE said:
> Thanks, @AnthonyR!
>
> Here's my initial list. More to come...
>
> 1) Quad Chart Plotting - I'd love to have a question type where you (the programmer) can define the two axes and then have participants plot items in that chart.
>
> 2) Some sort of shelf/shopping simulation. I'd love a question type where we would be be able to simulate a shelf so that you can ask participants which item they'd pick/buy and/or notice first... what sticks out to them.
>
> Let me know if these make sense!

For number one, is there any way I can have a visual example of what you're hoping to achieve? And also, what output you would expect to get from this?

For two, this is definitely doable, how would you hope it was implemented? For instance, would you want this to be a "multiple select" question, that places your answers on the shelves to be chosen? Or would you want more info than just what was chosen?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR Here's the thinking behind #1... please excuse the awful ppt drawings — hopefully they'll at least help to visualize.

The goal would be for the axes to almost be like hidden scales, where the programmer can define the meaning of the two ends (maybe something like "Exciting" to "Dull" or "Expensive" to "cheap", etc. etc. ).

The participant would then be able to take the row items (be it brands, attributes, etc.) and "plot" them in the chart. Because the hidden scale points are there, we'd be able to triangulate on the back end where each of the points landed on both scales.

In talking to my analyst here, on the back end, perhaps they are binary vars? Or two sets of scaled vars? Ideally, we'd want something that we could transform for use in a factor analysis.

Let me know if that makes sense.

!

!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR as for #2, you're right on — I was envisioning a multiple select (single answer) where they select an item off of the shelf. It's more for UX/simulating a shelf than it would be for any fancy/additional data.
Userlevel 1
Badge +3
the ability (I submitted as an enhancement) to "filter" a report on a field. So if we have a field called "department" - looking at the results, I want to be able to change the report to show only the results for a certain department...wait for it....From a drop down (instead of having to create a "permanent" filter or multiple copies of the report. It should be "simple" to do...
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @MartyK said:
> the ability (I submitted as an enhancement) to "filter" a report on a field. So if we have a field called "department" - looking at the results, I want to be able to change the report to show only the results for a certain department...wait for it....From a drop down (instead of having to create a "permanent" filter or multiple copies of the report. It should be "simple" to do...

Unfortunately this is more of a feature request than something another user of the platform can build 😞
Userlevel 5
Badge +7
How about a question that allows multiple drill downs side by side? Currently you can only have one drill down at a time.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @lillianc said:
> How about a question that allows multiple drill downs side by side? Currently you can only have one drill down at a time.

Ooh, an interesting thought. I'll think on this one.
Userlevel 3
Badge +4
1) Webservice that allowed to distribute SMS with link to survey (message content). Just like the email. I was told it is not possible yet, which came as a slight dissapointment for me. We are looking forward to utilize SMS where we simply send a text message with link to the survey.

2) Rolling dates "Last XX days, month, this month, etc.) in Vocalize

3) Response rate widget in Vocalize

4) Responsive/Mobile friendly site intercept themes

5) Realtime refresh of dashboard as data ticks in. Perfect for internal meetings and conferences where a live feed could either count the feedback or simply show the input in a stream a like flow. Top that with a kahoot-ish feature, if you will. Maybe in the fun category 😃

6) Allow any of the Site Intercept types to be triggered via javascript - e.g. a click on a button opens a slider SI

7) In some countries the multiple options (e.g. likert scale) needs to be opposite order (high to low). A simple way to acommendate both orders without having to create multiple copies of same questions to then later merge it in a super clumbsy way.

😎 Enable the Actions emails to contain the same information as a the regular trigger emails. Today i'd have to setup 2 emails if I want to alert an employee about a feedback/response. 1 for ticketing/action and 1 with the results itself within the email. Great for feedback loop.

9) Allow custom widgets for Vocalize and community-supported approach. With inspiration from MS Power BI.

10) Allow automatically close of Site Intercepts after submit. This is for some of the SI types, example Slider.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @RachelTHREE said:
> @AnthonyR as for #2, you're right on — I was envisioning a multiple select (single answer) where they select an item off of the shelf. It's more for UX/simulating a shelf than it would be for any fancy/additional data.

Any interest in helping me debug / test this one? 🙂 https://communicus.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_0jJHYzE9nC98FOl?Q_CHL=preview Also, please note this one is being built based on a column question type. each column becoming a shelf. It's also not going to play nicely with mobile if you have more than 2 items per column. I'll be working on that soon enough, but v1 is large screen only!

A problem that I probably can't fix is that you will need to have this question by itself on the page. Unfortunately, who knows how all this custom work will affect other question types!

I'm also considering adding styling for a pricetag element that could be included in each answer option. Any thoughts on this?

Interestingly, the work done here is similar to the work that would need to be done to use a column layout as a row type layout! 🙂
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
> @AnthonyR said:
> > @RachelTHREE said:
> > @AnthonyR as for #2, you're right on — I was envisioning a multiple select (single answer) where they select an item off of the shelf. It's more for UX/simulating a shelf than it would be for any fancy/additional data.
>
> Any interest in helping me debug / test this one? 🙂 https://communicus.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_0jJHYzE9nC98FOl?Q_CHL=preview Also, please note this one is being built based on a column question type. each column becoming a shelf. It's also not going to play nicely with mobile if you have more than 2 items per column. I'll be working on that soon enough, but v1 is large screen only!
>
> A problem that I probably can't fix is that you will need to have this question by itself on the page. Unfortunately, who knows how all this custom work will affect other question types!
>
> I'm also considering adding styling for a pricetag element that could be included in each answer option. Any thoughts on this?
>
> Interestingly, the work done here is similar to the work that would need to be done to use a column layout as a row type layout! :)

Yes! Will work on this and get back to you! Thanks!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR ,

3 items for multiple choice questions

1) type a portion of the answer and the list is restricted to those that include that text</u>. This is pretty standard in online forms now. So if I type survey, the list would include...
> survey
> the best survey
> other surveys
> the survey of all surveys
2) make a <u>multiple choice options pulled from an online source</u>. So as things change, you just change the data, not the question. We have a list of 2500 companies. The names of those companies change every year. I would love to have the list pull from a web based source rather than have to manually change the options. This would require that the selected options be saved as text in embedded data obviously.

3) When someone takes a survey in another language, if you set embedded data of a multiple choice question, it saves it as the language it was taken in. That makes perfect sense, but I would like to determine a way to <u>save the response to embedded data in the base language of the survey</u> (for me that would be English). I can then use web resource elements with the English version of the response.

Thanks,

Rett
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@rettweber

For Item 1 on your list, are you thinking of this as being used for multiple choice dropdown lists? Or are you talking about auto completing a text box with a standard set of answers as seen here: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/12/adding-autocomplete-javascript-to-my-survey#latest

Item 2 is definitely do-able, I'll add that to my list

I'll think about number 3, I have some concepts, but nothing concrete at this point.

@RachelTHREE

Have you had any chance to take a look at that yet? Would love to get your feedback on what works and what doesn't.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR

Regarding item number 1. Actually, with pulldowns, it already jumps to the correct section. The issue is that with a list of employers or universities, people often put information prior to the meat of a name, or the organizations name is somewhat burried within the name. for instance "The Ford Motor Company". "Fiat Chrysler" (when you are interested in Chrysler), and for Michigan Universities it would be nice to get all universities that include Michigan in the name (Michigan State, Central Michigan, Eastern Michigan, etc).

See the Search(Filter) Dropdown on the w3Schools page for dropdowns

https://w3schools.com/howto/howto_js_dropdown.asp

Thanks for looking into this. It could save lots of time and increase flexibility.

Rett
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR ,

One more item that would be good to see. Conditional required responses based upon embedded data in a single page survey (no page breaks or blocks allowed). It is possible to hide questions based upon embedded data, but not with in-page display logic. I wrote the following script, but I think the hidden trait is not used to hide questions the same way as Qualtrics hides questions.

!
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @AnthonyR
I think that the option you suggested for question 1 (lists that are restricted) will work. Now if you can get it combined with option 2 (list from online source) that would be stellar!

Thanks, I appreciate your talent!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@rettweber

Ahh so search than includes ANY text in the filter. gotcha.

And as far as the conditional required, i'll play with this, I have some ideas here as well.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
@AnthonyR ,

I am going to test out the code, but I think that the jquery text solution should work based upon what I saw here (https://jqueryui.com/autocomplete/). Just so you know I tried the code above, and it works to hide the questions, but if a required question is hidden through standard display logic, it is not triggered. When I hide required questions with the code above, there are issues with it completing the survey with the next button and going back into the survey with authentication on using the option to be able to go back into the survey.

In short, I think that there is a special way they are hiding the questions through the prototype DOM that is different from standard Javascript methods. Then again, in my background, I tend towards database and statistical work, not writing Javascript.
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
@AnthonyR Apologies for the delay! Let me grab my notes and I'll get back to you!
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@RachelTHREE no rush!
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
> @AnthonyR said:
> @RachelTHREE no rush!

Thanks so much — this is great!

Here are my initial thoughts:

1) In this type are you able to keep the shelf to a single row Or perhaps, so that it doesn't look super awkward, somehow letting the top and bottom rows show blank and just having items on a single row? I can imagine there will be an instance where we would either only have a few products or potentially want to keep them all on the same row (or both).

2) Are you able to create this in a single select question format as well (selecting only one product)?

3) I definitely like the idea of having a pricetag element as an optionwell. Could help get at a more realistic in-store shopping experience.

4) Just to throw this out there, ore as a brainstorming thing, How would you incorporate a "I wouldn't select any of these" — or something along those lines — into this question? Button at the bottom? Item that sits on the shelf?

Thanks!
re: Shelf test

I'd think the 'hot spot' question type would be perfect for shelf tests. You could create a picture using any picture editing tool (with or without prices) - then highlight all of the products. Data comes out nicely based on your definitions.

You could instruct respondents to click 'next' without selecting anything if they "wouldn't select any" - and make sure the validation allows people to skip. OR - when you edit your shelf, you could create a button.

I did a very, very hacky and quick job just to show how it could work.
https://peapod.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_daLFSPtRqFf2bfn?Q_CHL=preview

...and you can even use custom validation to force people to answer one of the selections.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Dan said:
> re: Shelf test
>
> I'd think the 'hot spot' question type would be perfect for shelf tests. You could create a picture using any picture editing tool (with or without prices) - then highlight all of the products. Data comes out nicely based on your definitions.
>
> You could instruct respondents to click 'next' without selecting anything if they "wouldn't select any" - and make sure the validation allows people to skip. OR - when you edit your shelf, you could create a button.
>
> I did a very, very hacky and quick job just to show how it could work.
> https://peapod.az1.qualtrics.com/jfe/preview/SV_daLFSPtRqFf2bfn?Q_CHL=preview
>
> ...and you can even use custom validation to force people to answer one of the selections.

Honestly a really cool solution, though what I like about the solution I began building is that it doesn't require the time to setup each item and outline them well. Can be applied directly to existing multiple choice questions with minimal effort, and in theory can be made more and more responsive to device type over time.

Leave a Reply