Innovative Qualtrics uses -- Share your stories | XM Community

Innovative Qualtrics uses -- Share your stories

• 28 November 2017
  • 13 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10
We all know Qualtrics is much more than survey software. Tell us how you've used Qualtrics "outside of the box."

13 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +7
Unfortunately most of the very innovative stuff I have worked on is somewhat proprietary / I'm not allowed to give many details. But one of the coolest projects I got to do was building a "digital phone" that had several apps, and recorded usage data back in to embedded data. Can't give much more detail than that, but it was a SUPER interesting project.
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
@AnthonyR can you tell us which Qualtrics applications were used in this project?
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @JulieT said:
> @AnthonyR can you tell us which Qualtrics applications were used in this project?

This was actually done using just the Research Core. Though the output data could have been easily analyzed and recorded using the platform, I was hired specifically to do the programming for this one.
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
The most innovative things I've done with Qualtrics w/o JavaScript or Web Services:
1. A purchasing request form that allows for the approval of anyone in the department who needs to approve a purchase prior to going to the Purchasing department.
2. A single exam where multiple professors can have their students take it, the exam closes on specific days for those individual classes, and then each professor gets a report for each of their classes.

Let me know if you'd like more details on either one of those.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Clint said:
> The most innovative things I've done with Qualtrics w/o JavaScript or Web Services:
> 1. A purchasing request form that allows for the approval of anyone in the department who needs to approve a purchase prior to going to the Purchasing department.
> 2. A single exam where multiple professors can have their students take it, the exam closes on specific days for those individual classes, and then each professor gets a report for each of their classes.
>
> Let me know if you'd like more details on either one of those.

What about the most innovative WITH Web Services and JavaScript?
Userlevel 4
Badge +2
Unfortunately, I'm still somewhat of a Qualtrics novice, so I don't know that I'll have much to add here. That being said, looking forward to hearing what cool things everyone else has done, and looking forward to eventually being able to add to this list!
Userlevel 4
Badge +5
> @AnthonyR said:
> > @Clint said:
> > The most innovative things I've done with Qualtrics w/o JavaScript or Web Services:
> > 1. A purchasing request form that allows for the approval of anyone in the department who needs to approve a purchase prior to going to the Purchasing department.
> > 2. A single exam where multiple professors can have their students take it, the exam closes on specific days for those individual classes, and then each professor gets a report for each of their classes.
> >
> > Let me know if you'd like more details on either one of those.
>
> What about the most innovative WITH Web Services and JavaScript?

I haven't ventured down that road much to be honest. I like to push the system as far as I can take it as is, but I think I have come to the end of the line there.

Time to use the extensible technologies.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
> @Clint said:
> > @AnthonyR said:
> > > @Clint said:
> > > The most innovative things I've done with Qualtrics w/o JavaScript or Web Services:
> > > 1. A purchasing request form that allows for the approval of anyone in the department who needs to approve a purchase prior to going to the Purchasing department.
> > > 2. A single exam where multiple professors can have their students take it, the exam closes on specific days for those individual classes, and then each professor gets a report for each of their classes.
> > >
> > > Let me know if you'd like more details on either one of those.
> >
> > What about the most innovative WITH Web Services and JavaScript?
>
> I haven't ventured down that road much to be honest. I like to push the system as far as I can take it as is, but I think I have come to the end of the line there.
>
> Time to use the extensible technologies.

Well as ya travel that road, post here if you hit roadblocks, I'd be glad to share what I know.
Userlevel 4
Badge +6
We just did a quick project that allows an instructor to ‘self-enroll’ in a specific Canvas course (training course for faculty). Canvas only has three settings out of the box for self-enrollment: All Courses, No Courses, or Manually-Created Courses. None of which are viable for a single course need.

Anyway, the faculty member lands on an internal authentication in which s/he logs in using his/her standard credentials. After doing so, the user is taken to a single descriptive-text question survey. (At this point behind the scenes, Qualtrics has already grabbed all the user’s identifying data - including pinging Canvas via API to retrieve a specific user ID - and the user is ready to be enrolled in the course). The descriptive-text question explains that the user is ready to be enrolled, and to complete the enrollment, the user has to click the ‘REGISTER’ button, which is the only ‘next’ button for the survey. As soon as the user clicks Register, they’re enrolled in the course as a student and redirected to the course home page in Canvas.
We have completed our integration of Google's Universal Analytics (UA) by marrying the response IDs with Client IDs and then pushing about a dozen or so dimensions and metrics into the Qualtrics database. We are pushing through a lot of dimensions around site search, so that we can analyze what users searched for on our site and include their survey responses in that analysis. We also pull Service Provider Network and some custom dimensions.

We are currently working with the Qualtrics API to send data the other way - into our UA instance, so that we marry the survey interactions with the entirety of the UA session data.

This is an evolving effort, but I'd love to hear from folks who are doing something similar.
Userlevel 6
Badge +45
Nothing fancy that requires behind-the-scenes programming, but I'm still pretty proud of this one...
I created a survey that acts as a self-assessment tool for students to determine which nursing program they are qualified to enroll in. As they go through the survey, they are asked to indicate whether or not they meet certain criteria. If they meet some they are directed to apply for one program, if they meet all they are directed to apply for another, and if they meet none they are directed to enroll in yet another. At the same time, the survey is collecting demographic data that helps us target the right audience for recruiting and marketing the nursing programs.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Not that far out of the box, but we've use Qualtrics for problem reporting.

One way we use it is that we add a link to a problem reporting survey to the footer in all our surveys. The link gets built dynamically using JavaScript and piping so we can pass things like survey id, respondent id, and survey page to the problem reporting survey. An email trigger in the problem reporting survey then notifies us immediately when someone reports a problem.

We've also used it as part of a problem reporting system for a multi-platform app. When a user reports an app issue they are directed to a Qualtrics survey where we capture the user's feedback along with some automatically collected app information. At the end of the survey we redirect to a web-based script that uses the Qualtrics REST API to get the response data and adds it a web-based database that is used by the app support team.
I created an "app" to help teacher candidates prepare for the Foundations of Reading Test. Students can "install" it on their phones, and then study on the go! See Get the App! > our FoRT 'app' at: http://uwm.edu/education/academics/resources/foundations-of-reading-test-fort

Leave a Reply