Import data from one survey to another? | XM Community
Solved

Import data from one survey to another?

• 20 December 2017
  • 7 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +6
Is there a way to import data entered by a respondent from one survey into another one other than posting the information in the redirect URL? I'm thinking something like drilling down to a user's response (Survey ID -> Respondent ID -> Question ID -> Respondent's response).

For example, I have a user take two surveys, A & B. In survey B, I want to import the user's response to the First Name and Last Name (and other info), Is there a way to grab that info by referencing the Survey ID of survey A, then the respondent's ID of survey A, and then the needed response to the question? Perhaps posting the info to the URL is the best way to go, but curious if it can be done another way. Thanks in advance!
icon

Best answer by AnthonyR 20 December 2017, 18:37

View original

7 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +3
You can use email trigger to store information in a separate mailing list from Survey A and can use that in Survey B.
Userlevel 7
Badge +7
@JasonHill

We do this pretty often, we build a panel with all the information we need from Survey A, and reference it in survey b. We also create a distribution for survey B based on this panel, then use respondent id in a "Redirector survey" to pull the correct url for survey B (from a database using a webservice) and send them there.
Userlevel 7
Badge +6
@JasonHill looks like @NK_Tripathi and @AnthonyR beat me to this.

You basically need to make a Contact List Trigger in survey A to create a new mailing list with all the data you want from the survey as new embedded data. Then in surveys B and C you can use the Authenticator block in the Survey Flow to have them pull in whatever embedded data you attached in the mailing list and can include it using piped text.

The Authenticator block also has the added benefit of making the surveys feel "connected" and cohesive to the survey taker. Note - Make sure that you use a unique field they need to enter in order to authenticate. If you have multiple johndoe@gmail.com in the mailing list, then the Authenticator will fail since it won't know which record to pull in.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @JasonHill ,

One other option that may be simpler, provided one survey is always after the other, is to add information to the end of the URL in an end of survey element through query strings.

If you have a survey

https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cI6qsLrestOfsurveyID

and you have a question you want to pass on, you pipe the answer to the end by adding a question mark a variable name and the value you would like to pass.
so if you have a question on the college they are transferring to (QID2) and when they are transferring (QID34) and you would like to pass both variables as embedded data, you would use

https://msu.co1.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_cI6qsLrestOfsurveyID?tran_college=${q://QID2/ChoiceTextEntryValue}&semester=${q://QID34/ChoiceGroup/SelectedChoices}

Be sure to separate the different values with an ampersand (&). The Qualtrics page on this is here
https://qualtrics.com/support/integrations/api-integration/passing-information-through-query-strings/
Userlevel 5
Badge +10
> The Authenticator block also has the added benefit of making the surveys feel "connected" and cohesive to the survey taker. Note - Make sure that you use a unique field they need to enter in order to authenticate. If you have multiple johndoe@gmail.com in the mailing list, then the Authenticator will fail since it won't know which record to pull in.

@Akdashboard I'm actually working on a project like this right now. Our workaround is creating Student IDs using a random number generator to ensure there aren't duplicates.

The Contact List and Authenticator has been invaluable. I have an eight part registration, where each "survey" adds more information about the user. We've been able to follow each student from registration, training, testing and employment with four different companies filling in the information. Automatically pulling in embedded data from the Contact List ensures clean data.
Userlevel 3
Badge +6
Hi @JulieT and @JasonHill ,

You can use a single contact list if you have a survey dependent prefix for each variable in the contact list. So survey1_status is the status from survey1 and survey2_status is the status from survey 2. You need to be careful with the names, but then you don't need to have separate records for each individual in the contact list.

One other issue with contact lists. If someone does not hit the last button on the survey, the contact list trigger will never be fired, as a result, the response will be moved from "response in progress" to "recorded responses" when the response is closed (either through pushing them to close or through expiration of the response set in survey options) but the data will never get to the contact list. This can be remedied by using a web resource element and pushing data to the contact list after each block or having a single page survey with all display logic set to in page. The web resource element would use the 2.5 qualtrics API to update contacts. Not all question types will allow in page display logic. Some options will cause page breaks in blocks.

Good luck,

Rett
Badge +3

Hi, 

I am using contact list trigger to pass data from one survey (survey 1) to another (survey 2). In survey 1, I have ACCEPT/REJECT and that works fine. I also have a qualitative data field where participants have  to write answers in details. When they write one or two words it pass correctly from survey 1 to 2 but when they write long passages it does not work. It stops at the end of survey 1 and does not trigger survey 2. 

How to solve this issue? Any suggestions?

M.

Leave a Reply