When a visitor qualifies for your intercept, you can trigger events like saving a cookie or a Google Analytics event. You can set these events to happen when the Creative loads, or when a visitor interacts with your Creative in a specific way. The event options include removing, adding, or editing cookies, as well as push information to Google Analytics.
Triggering an Event
There are two ways to trigger an event. The first is to trigger an event as soon as your Creative is displayed to a website visitor. The second is to trigger an event as soon as a website visitor interacts with a specific element in your Creative. The following sections outline how to accomplish both triggers.
To trigger event on Creative display
- Navigate to the relevant Action Set within the Intercept that displays your Creative.
- Click Options and select Add Event.
- If no events already exist, click Add Event to create a new one by clicking.
- Select the type of event you’d like to add. These options allow you to Add/Modify and Remove Cookies, as well as push an event to Google Analytics.
Qtip: Learn more about these options in the Defining an Event section below
- Once you have set up the event(s), click Save.
To trigger event on visitor interaction with Creative
- Navigate to the Edit Creative page for your specific Creative.
- Right-click the element in your Creative (or single-click on element, and then click on the arrow dropdown menu) and select Add Event.
Qtip: You may want to add the event to the Target element to track individuals who click the target (see below), or to the Close button to track those who choose not to participate.
- Click Add Event.
- Select what action will trigger the event. See below for available actions.On Click: The event will occur if the visitor clicks on this element of the Creative.
Mouse Out: The event will occur if the visitor hovers their mouse over this element of the Creative and then moves their mouse away.
Mouse In: This event will occur if the visitor hovers their mouse over this element of the Creative.
- Once you have set up the event(s) click Save.
Defining an Event
Once you’ve selected how your event is to be triggered, you can choose exactly what the event will be. There are three types of events available: Remove Cookie, Add/Modify Cookie, or trigger a Google Analytics Event.
With the Remove Cookie event, you’ll simply type in the name of the cookie being removed. If the visitor qualifies for this event and if the cookie exists in the browser, then the cookie will be removed.
With the Add/Modify event, a cookie will be added to the visitor’s browser. If the cookie already exists, then it will be modified. For this event, specify the name of the cookie you’d like to add/modify, and then specify the new value for that cookie.
Google Analytics Event
With a Google Analytics Event, Site Intercept interactions can be recorded and reported within Google Analytics. For this event, specify the account number for your Google Analytics Account, as well as a Category and Action name for this event. Refer to Google’s Event Tracking page for more information.