A Line Chart visualization allows you to view answer options or field values as a series of data points connected by line segments. One axis of the visualization shows the specific answer options being measured, and the other axis represents a discrete value (e.g., counts or percentages of respondents with that option).
Qtip: Line Charts are often used with a Breakout by a date field to view a trend in data over intervals of time.
There are four main customization areas for Line Chart visualizations. These are found in the visualization Editing Pane, located to the far right.
You have six settings under the Display Options list in the Editing Pane. Some of these options will be enabled by default, but you can enable any combination of these options to achieve your desired visualization:
- Show X Axis: Display the X axis and its values in the visualization.
- Show Y Axis: Display the Y axis and its values in the visualization.
- Normalize to Percentages: Display the percentage of respondents who answered or were assigned each option instead of the count.
- Show Area: Color in the area beneath each line.
- Smooth Lines: Use curved line segments between points rather than straight ones.
- Show Legend: Display the legend values at the bottom, to the left, or inset within the graph.
Whenever you apply a Breakout to a Line Chart, the visualization is broken into several lines, one for each of the legend values. The Breakout options (or “axis values”) appear along the X axis. You can edit the text of these axis values by clicking directly into the textbox for the name and entering the new name.
You have a variety of options concerning the answer names (or “legend values”), including the following:
- Change the legend value text by clicking directly into the textbox for the name and entering the new name.
- Adjust the color of the option by clicking directly on the color box to the left of the value and selecting a new color.
- Change the order the values appear in the visualization by clicking to the left of a value and dragging it to its desired position.
- Hide values from the visualization by deselecting the checkbox to the left of the value.
Whenever you apply a Breakout to a Line Chart, the visualization is broken into several lines, one for each legend value. By default, the axis values are set by the Data Source options, but you can click the Transpose button to switch the legend values (Data Source options) with the axis values (Breakout options).