The Bar Chart visualization allows you to view answer options or field value data as rectangular bars. The length of each bar is proportional to the number of respondents who selected or were assigned the value. One axis of the visualization shows the specific answer options being compared, and the other axis represents a discrete value (e.g., counts or percentages of respondents with that option).
There are four main customization areas for Bar Chart visualizations. These are found in the visualization Editing Pane, located to the far right.
You have six settings under the Display Options list in the Editing Pane. Some of these options will be enabled by default, but you can enable any combination of these to achieve your desired visualization:
- Sort: Sort the options in ascending or descending order.
- Show X Axis: Display the X axis and its values in the visualization. Note that when Horizontal Bars is enabled, the X axis is in the Y position.
- Show Y Axis: Display the Y axis and its values in the visualization. Note that when Horizontal Bars is enabled, the Y axis is in the X position.
- Show Bar Labels: Display the number of respondents who answered or were assigned to each option at the end of each bar.
- Normalize to Percentages: Display the percentage of respondents who answered or were assigned each option instead of the count. Only available when a Breakout is applied.
- Show Legend: Display the legend values at the bottom, to the left, or inset within the graph.
- Stacked Bars: Display the options stacked on top of each other instead of as separate bars. Note that when Horizontal Bars is enabled, options will be stacked side by side. Only available when a Breakout is applied.
- Horizontal Bars: Rotate the visualization so that the bars appear lengthwise along the graph instead of vertical.
Whenever you apply a Breakout to a Bar Chart, the visualization is broken into several sets of bars, one for each of the Breakout options (or “axis values”). You can edit the text of these axis values by clicking directly into the textbox for the name and entering the new name.
You have a variety of options concerning the answer names (or “legend values”), including the following:
- Change the legend value text by clicking directly into the textbox for the name and entering the new name. To turn the legend on/off, use the Display Options.
- Adjust the color of the option by clicking directly on the color box to the left of the value and selecting a new color.
- Change the order the values appear in the visualization by clicking to the left of a value and dragging it to its desired position.
- Hide values from the visualization by deselecting the checkbox to the left of the value.
Whenever you apply a Breakout to a Bar Chart, the visualization is broken into several sets of bars, one for each axis value. By default, the axis values are set by the Breakout options, but you can click the Transpose button to switch the axis values (Breakout options) with the legend values (Data Source options).