About Survey Tools
Survey Tools are features that help you create surveys and give them advanced functionality. These features include options like Auto-Number Questions, Translations, and more. You can access the Survey Tools by clicking on Tools in the Survey tab.
The following are the different Survey Tools available:
- Auto-Number Questions: Change the question numbers for all of your questions. You can auto-number sequentially, by block, or by the internal ID number. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but it works exactly the same way in an EmployeeXM survey.
- Reset Recode Values: This removes the recode values you edited from all choices in all questions, replacing the values with the default. (For example, the first choice is usually equal to 1.)
- Search And Replace: Quickly find specific words in a survey and replace them with another word.
- Strip Formatting: Remove all formatting from the selected questions. Use this option if questions in your survey have different fonts or styles that you want to remove. You have to select questions to strip of their formatting before clicking this option.
Example: If I copy and paste an article from a website, I can use Strip Formatting to remove all the styling (bolds, italics, font sizes, etc.) from the pasted content. I can then format the content to match my survey.
- Spell Check: Use this option to run a spell check on your survey. This only works for English (US).
- Check Survey Accessibility: Determine whether your survey is accessible for respondents who use screen readers, and receive suggestions for improving your survey’s accessibility.
- Analyze Survey: Open ExpertReview‘s suggestions for your survey.
- Turn off ExpertReview / Turn on ExpertReview: Enable or disable ExpertReview.
- Update Person Trigger: Update each participant’s metadata every time they complete the survey. Enter the name of the metadata to be updated under Field and what the value should change to under Value. You can even make this value Piped Text so it will dynamically update based on responses the participants give in the engagement survey.
- Manage Reusable Choices: Create a list of choices that you can reuse throughout the survey. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but all the features described there work exactly the same way in EmployeeXM.
- Translate Survey: Translate your survey into multiple languages, allowing respondents to choose which language to view the survey in. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but all the features described work the same way in EmployeeXM. The only difference is that participants’ languages are set by their browser language, because EmployeeXM projects do not use the contact list feature. If the participant’s browser language does not have a corresponding survey translation, the participant will see the survey in the survey’s default language. Your survey’s default language is specified in the Survey Options.
- Create New Version: Save a version of your survey in order to view and restore it later if needed. By default, Qualtrics will also periodically create versions for you that can be viewed and restored. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but all the features described there work exactly the same way in a EmployeeXM.
- View Version History: See past versions of your survey and, if desired, restore them so they become the current survey revision. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but all the features described there work exactly the same way in EmployeeXM.
- Import / Export:
- Print Survey: Use this option to print or save a PDF version of your survey. This PDF file can also be exported to your computer or mobile device. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but printing a survey works exactly the same way in EmployeeXM.
- Export Survey to Word: Export your survey as a DOCX Word document that contains the plain text of your survey questions and answer choices. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but exporting to Word works exactly the same way in EmployeeXM.
Qtip: The exportable Word document can also be used as a “data dictionary” or “codebook” for those who need to know which recode values are associated with each answer choice. The linked page is for the Survey Platform, but recode values function the same way in EmployeeXM.
- Export Survey: Export your survey as a QSF file to be imported into another account. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but exporting to a QSF works exactly the same way in EmployeeXM.
- Import Survey: Import a survey from a simple QSF, TXT, or DOC file. The page linked is for the Survey Platform, but importing a survey works similarly in EmployeeXM. But when preparing one of these files, be careful that you are only including question types compatible with EmployeeXM! See our support pages on Static Content, Standard Questions, and Advanced Questions for more details on what is compatible.
Attention: Do you have access to the Survey Platform and EmployeeXM projects? Be careful that you never import a QSF from one kind of project into another. An Employee Experience survey has different question types and Survey Options from a Survey Platform survey.