Randomising Logic for a 3 x 2 condition without repeats | XM Community
Solved

Randomising Logic for a 3 x 2 condition without repeats

• 8 July 2020
  • 1 reply

Hi all,
I am running a study with 2 independent 'author' variables, namely GENDER (male, female, org) x FORMALITY (formal, informal). This leads to 6 possible version of 'authors'. (i.e. Male Formal, Female Formal, Org Formal, Male Informal, Female Informal, Org Informal).
I have 6 texts to be presented to participants, and the 6 'authors' to are to be paired with each text, such that one author can only be paired to one text once, without repeats.
I have created all the possible conditions in separate blocks (sample):
E.g. Org F 1 denotes: Org Formal Text1 and so on.
image.pngI need to do a randomisation where

1. the text order presented to the participant is randomised (e.g. text 1, text 3, text 5...).

2. the 'author' attached to said text is randomised.

But also such that if an 'author' is used in the preceding text presented, then it will be taken out of the pool, and not available for subsequent randomisation. I have attached 3 possible outcome flows for 3 different participants here:
image.png
How do i structure the logic of the randomiser to achieve said effect? Thank you so much!!

icon

Best answer by ChristianB 7 August 2020, 19:39

View original

1 reply

Badge

Hi YJteo! If you have not yet already, I'd recommend reaching out to our Support team on this, as they might be able to work with you on some ideas for achieving this goal!

Leave a Reply