Have Qualtrics "select" the youngest person. | XM Community
Solved

Have Qualtrics "select" the youngest person.

• 3 August 2020
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 1

Hello all,
We are assessing the ages of our participant's children. We are trying to find a way so that we can select the child that is the youngest, but only among their children who are ages 4-11 years old. For example, say the person reports 3 children ages 2, 5, and 7. We want pipe the age of the child that is aged 5 into future questions.
So far, I have a hidden question where I pipe the response from the questions assessing age into a multiple choice question and then have display logic to only display children who are ages 4-11. I tried to add "less than or equal to" statements but I can't figure out how to get this to only apply if the other child is also 4-11. So for the above example, I don't want qualtrics to include the "less than or equal to statement" comparing the children ages 2 and 5.

icon

Best answer by Kara_C 4 August 2020, 22:00

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

How are they entering their childrens' ages? Is it a multiple select question? I'm trying to create a sample question in one of my test surveys to see how this might work....

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

Kara_C I often ask the respondent to identify this themselves ("Think of your youngest child currently between the ages of 4-11."). This also gives you a chance to provide guidance on what to do if someone had 'multiples' (e.g. twins, triplets, etc.) for which the program would not be able to identify which entry is the youngest (you might recommend the child whose name come first alphabetically, etc.). This will work if you don't need to run analysis on age of the children they are referring to.
Here's a rough sketch of using loop & merge (assuming a max of 5 children allowed in a household but that can be expanded by upping the limit in Q1, adjusting the loop and merge, and repeating display logic in Q3. You can also get rid of Q4 I was using it for testing - e.g. houses that adopt kids both age 6 might need an initial
to distinguish which 6 yo is actually younger.).
This is a "brute force" solution if you are in a time crunch. But I recommend being patient to see if other Qualtrics Community members can give you an actual solution where Qualtrics does this for you.
Youngest_child.qsfAnother way to do this that might be easier for the programming is to ask how many children they have that is each age. And then Survey Flow logic can be used to identify the youngest age between 4 and 11. (I've made the logic equal to 99 if there are no children between 4 and 11). This is tedious though, so weigh carefully what is best for the respondent.
Child_between_4_and_11.qsf

Userlevel 1

I appreciate you both taking the time to read and respond to my question. After some extensive researching and talks with some developer friends, I was able to figure out a way to get Qualtrics to automatically "select" the youngest and then pipe the age of the youngest child in to future questions.
I made a hidden multiple choice question where I pipe in the response to reported ages. Then I used quite a bit of display logic to make it so only the youngest would be displayed. Then I hid the question and autoadvanced the page that the question was on. Finally, I piped in the displayed choice from the hidden question to future questions. Took a bit of logic to get this to work and may not be the most elegant solution, but it worked out in the end.

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

Kara_C wow, that sounds like a ton of work but I'm glad you figured it out! 🤗

Leave a Reply