How to best address some questions in a survey? | XM Community
Question

How to best address some questions in a survey?

• 16 September 2020
  • 2 replies

Hi,
I have built a survey and would like to learn few tricks to improve it. Please see the questions below.

1. How to calculate age using the Date of Birth and survey-taking-date automatically and include in the output. I need age info as it will be used to convert raw scores into standardized scores against normative data. If I can automatize that, I don't need to ask DOB and age as separate items to reduce redundancy.

2. How to insert the "save and finish later" button on each page? Since the survey is lengthy, giving an option of coming back later to finish will be convenient for the participants. Although the survey correctly restarts where it was left off, an explicit cue is required. I can include it in the instruction at the beginning, but that won't be an efficient solution and may run the risk of forgetting or overlooking.

3. How do I remove "Powered by Qualtrics" or move it down so that there is a lesser probability of participants accidentally touching/clicking it.

Thanks!
Regards,
Ashwini

2 replies

Userlevel 5
Badge +10

@ashwinipn, for #1
It seems you have a couple options.

1. You can specifically ask their exact date of birth and then use math operations in an embedded data field to create their age; (Math operations) or

2. The easier method (although less exact) is just to have them enter their age.

I guess it depends on how exact the age data needs to be.
For the Powered by Qualtrics issue, I highly doubt you'll be able to remove that since it probably has to do with their branding and trademark. Are you using a template? We have a brand template set up and the Powered by Qualtrics shows up in the very bottom right hand corner, which doesn't seem very invasive. Is it showing up some place different for you?

Hi Michelle,
Thanks for your reply and suggestions.
1. Although I have already included it as an item, my colleagues were asking if it can be implemented, it will have one less question to ask. I will try through the embedded data field and mat operations as you suggested.
On the phone, it shows very close to the previous or next page buttons. Also, many times, if the last option is selected, there is a chance somebody with thick fingers may hit the "Powered by Qualtrics" accidentally. I don't want to remove it, only if it can be moved down where chances become less of accidentally clicking/touching it.
Do you also know how to insert "save and finish later" type of buttons?
Thanks!
Regards,
Ashwini

Leave a Reply