How to update contact fields in survey response using update response API? | XM Community
Question

How to update contact fields in survey response using update response API?

• 23 November 2020
  • 4 replies

Hi,
I am using update response API (https://ca1.qualtrics.com/API/v3/responses/{responseId}) to update the embedded data in my survey responses. But I am unable to update the contact fields like recipienceEmail, recipientFirstName, recipientLastName using the same API. I understand that these fields are not part of embedded data but the api call is not returning any error. I am receiving below message, but the changes are not being reflected on the portal.
{"meta":{"httpStatus":"200 - OK","requestId":"ee5f31da-aacd-4e98-86b0-40ffec545f88"}}
Below is the structure of my request
payload = {
        "surveyId": surveyID,
        "resetRecordedDate": False,
        "embeddedData": {
                "recipientEmail": "donotdisclose@email.com",
                "recipientFirstName": "FirstName",
                "recipientLastName":"LastName",
  }
}

Please support

4 replies

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi there,

I have a similar request. My need is to update survey response fields collected.

Since I have seen only documentation about updating embedded data values, is there a way to update all fields of survey response?

Best,

Carlo

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hello @cmagg,

I haven’t updated survey response fields myself, however, I don’t think this is possible using the API calls since they aren’t embedded data strictly speaking, which is also the same challenge faced by the OP.

I’d suggest you to download the responses you want to edit, delete them from Qualtrics and reupload them edited as needed.

Best,

Daniel

Userlevel 2
Badge +4

Hi @dduarte,

we need API since is a flow collecting many responses a day, so manual editing is not an option. I was wondering it since we have already set up API to send responses and we specify the fields to write on.

Best,

Carlo

Userlevel 1
Badge +6

Hi @cmagg,

Got it, what about automatizing the process through a python script to avoid manual editing? Something like:

1. Export responses via API
  2. Delete responses via API
  3. Edit responses using python script
  4. Upload responses via API

Best,

Daniel

Leave a Reply