Same location, different IPs. | XM Community
Question

Same location, different IPs.

• 2 December 2020
  • 1 reply

Badge +1

I received the following question from a staff member regarding their reports;
"when looking at the report of the entries, if two entries have the exact same location latitude and longitude, but they have different IP addresses, could I assume these two entries came from the same person?"
Of course it could be multiple people in the same location using possibly different ISPs. Thought I would throw this out there to the community for input as I do not have much experience with Qualtrics itself.

1 reply

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Both of those things are possible. Qualtrics uses cookies to track someone's progress in a survey. That's why you can return to the survey, even after closing the browser. I think, though I have not been able to find documentation on it, that the cookies expire after a while.
Therefore, you might what to look at the time when the responses were recorded, if the difference is large, then they might be originating from the same person. Similarly, you could look at other factors of similarity, browser meta data etc.
You know, basically the thing that big tech firms do to track us around the internet. 😉

Leave a Reply