Display custom messages with the question based on a respondent's choices in previous questions | XM Community
Solved

Display custom messages with the question based on a respondent's choices in previous questions

• 13 January 2021
  • 2 replies

Hello everyone, I suspect the solution to my question involves coding, but unfortunately, I don't have any background in JavaScript.
Basically, for the complicated part of my survey which I need help with, there are 5 identical questions. Each question represents a day of the week from Monday to Friday, where participants must choose from 7 food choices ranging from most unhealthy to least unhealthy. Choosing the most unhealthy option leads to a reduction in 20 Points, followed by 18, 16, 14, 12, 10, and finally 8 Points reduction for the least unhealthy option. They each start off with 100 Points on Monday and they are aware of this. Thus, we have something like: Option 1 (Most unhealthy) -20P, Option 2 -18P, Option 3 -16P, Option 4 -14P, Option 5 -12P, Option 6 -10P, Option 7 (Least unhealthy) -8P.
The catch is that I want to reveal to the participants how many Points they have left from Wednesday onwards (i.e. For the last 3 Questions) to see if they will alter their choices for the last 3 Questions/Days based on this new information. For example, if they have consumed the most unhealthy option on Monday and Tuesday, then on Wednesday, a message saying "You have 60 Points left" (Since 100 - 20 - 20 = 60) should appear together with the question. On the other hand, if they have consumed the least unhealthy option on Monday and Tuesday, then Wednesday's message should say "You have 84 Points left".
This means that on Wednesday, a total of 7 x 7 = 49 possible messages have to be included/programmed. On Thusrday, this becomes 7 x 7 x 7 = 343. On Friday, the number of messages becomes 7 x 7 x 7 x 7 = 2401. Evidently, it becomes quite tedious to just use the "Add Display Logic" function.
Does anyone have an alternative solution that does not require coding (perhaps by using some other function in Qualtrics)? If that is not possible, what kind of code should I design to encompass this problem which I have? Thank you in advance.

icon

Best answer by rondev 13 January 2021, 17:07

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +22

Score the options with there respective negative points for all question
Put each questions in one block.
Create embedded data - "PointsRemaining"
After each block do a math operation -> (100 - score) and store its result in PointsRemaining embedded data.
Pipe this embedded data in the question from where required.

Hi rondev,
Thank you for your feedback. I learned some new features based on your recommendations. They were very helpful and achieved my goal ultimately. Cheers!

Leave a Reply