Using display logic based on data from previous survey | XM Community
Question

Using display logic based on data from previous survey

• 3 February 2021
  • 5 replies

Hello,

In one of my surveys participants will see either one of two graphics. In subsequent surveys, I want them to see the same graphic, not the other graphic that they didn't originally see. Can anyone suggest how is best to do so?

Thank you

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You'll have to use branch logic. However, the first question is, how does the system know that they are the same respondent? Based on how you implement this, the configuration of branch logic will differ.

Userlevel 2
Badge +10

To follow up on ahmedA's questions, how are you recruiting your respondents and how do you plan on keeping track of your respondents? Depending on your response, I'm thinking that uploading a contact list after your first survey that includes 1) the participant's ID and 2) which survey graphic they saw (i.e. which condition they were in) in the previous survey would be the easiest. You can tie the information from the contact list (including which graphic they saw) to your new survey and use that information to "branch" participants to the graphic they haven't seen yet. Happy to provide more details once we hear back from you!

Hi both,

Thank you for the response. I have used an embedded data link on day 1 of my survey and then placed another link on every subsequent day so as to create a random participant ID. I have set it up so that when participants fill out day 1, it pulls their name and email address in to a contact list.

Hope that helps!

Userlevel 7
Badge +38

ameliar I recommend adjusting your contact list trigger to also pull in the graphic they were shown. You can then add this as an embedded data field in your subsequent surveys. Then use branch logic in your survey flow to either direct to the block with that image if you hard coded the image into the survey question. Or use branch logic to set an embedded data with the image url that can be piped into your question.

Leave a Reply