Embedded data field updates | XM Community
Question

Embedded data field updates

• 5 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

Hi everyone - I have an issue where a survey was rushed prior to me joining the company, and they either have wrong embedded data field values or missing all-together (e.g. region, country, etc.). I need to update this data in existing responses. I have a mapped file of response id to new values. Is there a way to upload these new values into an existing response data set?
The only solutions offered to me by the support team are to either do a bulk edit within Data & Analysis through filters (not doable since it's at the account/response level with thousands of different values) or to copy the survey / import new data set / and point the dashboards to the new survey instead of old one. This is not a good solution since I would like to keep the original survey with original recorded dates, etc.
Hoping someone has come up with a way of achieving this. Thanks!

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

I haven't tried this, but one option could be use actions. Use the trigger "when a response is updated". And then use the code action to write JS to change the values.
To trigger the response update, you could just add some embedded variable and add it to all the responses.
Maybe it works, but, since I haven't tried it, would first test it on another survey.

Userlevel 7
Badge +18

ahmedA Not sure how this will help me since I have a data file with a mapping of response ID's to the new field values I need to upload. All the values vary by response ID so I need to map that whole file to responses. Let me know if I didn't understand correctly what you are suggesting.

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

Okay. You're right, it wouldn't help you. From your initial post, I had assumed that the transformation would be same across respondents.
I suppose you'll have to go through one of ways outlined in your earlier post.
You could look at using something like winautomation to automate the process. I had used it earlier to download response pdfs (~5000) from the data and analysis tab, so it does work, but requires some care setting it up. If you have an office365 account, you can use most of the features that you'll probably need to accomplish this.

Leave a Reply