Informed Consent: 'scroll' option and e-signature/e-id? | XM Community
Question

Informed Consent: 'scroll' option and e-signature/e-id?

• 14 April 2021
  • 3 replies

Hello everyone,
For our research, we bumped into two Qualtrics issues that I am not immediately able to solve. Could anyone help us out with the following?

• For our research we have a rather long informed consent (10 pages or so), hence it is not possible to include this in a text box as suggested by Qualtrics. I have in my mind the option for participants to see the informed consent in a textbox, in which participants can scroll down to go through everything and then agree on it. Does that possibility exist or do you have any recommendations on this issue?

• Does Qualtrics provide the opportunity to do an ID check, via e-ID or itsme®️? I see their is a signature option, but I have no permission for this feature on the account of our university... What would be your advice?

Thanks a lot!
Kind regards,
Anke

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

The scrolling is dependent on two things, the length of your content and the height of the screen.
So, if you put content that is longer than the length of the screen, you'll see scroll bars automatically.
However, I don't think you'll be able to fit 10 pages of stuff on a single question in qualtrics (20,000 char limit), so you could have a descriptive text question for each page/section and then, have a consent button at the bottom.

2. This is possible, you can either use JS libraries or API calls, the exact method will depend upon the service.

Dear ahmed,
Thanks.

1. With regard to the long informed consent, i was rather thinking about this kind of box on the screen, where I can put all the text of the informed consent in, people then have to scroll down in that box (not the whole page) and only after they have scrolled down they can sign.

2. Could you elaborate a bit more on JS libraries or API calls? If I am designing a questionnaire in Qualtrics, how can I include this?

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

For the scroll type effect, you could look at hosting your webpage on Netlify and placing it inside a Qualtrics question using an iframe. It's quite a simple process.
Alternatively, you could embed a pdf into the iframe using a library like jsPDF or PDFkit. 
For the authentication, you can include the appropriate JS libraries and make the calls from the page itself. I can't go into any specifics here, because the exact implementation as well as feasibility will depend upon the authentication method you plan to use. So, both libraries and methods, will be different for twitter, facebook, email-password etc. 

Leave a Reply