Is it possible to enable a respondent to bypass authentication? | XM Community

Is it possible to enable a respondent to bypass authentication?

• 21 April 2021
  • 4 replies

Our use case: We will be sending out personalized links to the majority of respondents; however, many will receive a hard-copy mailer w/ the anonymous link. Ideally they will have their ID and be able to authenticate; however, some may not. In this case, we'd like to have an "I don't have my ID" button, link, something to allow them to skip the authentication and go straight to the survey (with nothing pre-populated).
I've been trying to work in some javascript (in our header) to make it so they don't have to put something in the authenticator fields (otherwise it says "Please answer this question.") just to get it to say "unable to login" and skip to the blank survey, but I can't get it to work (and I'd rather have a more streamlined approach).

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

How about putting the authenticator in a branch. Ask them if they have their id or not before branching.

I would only want respondents who are using the anonymous link to go through that path in the survey flow. Otherwise, if they are using a personalized link, I want the authentication to pre-fill and go straight to the survey with their data pre-populated. Is that possible (i.e. branching or different survey flows based on using the anonymous vs. personalized link)?

Nevermind. I have a working solution using multiple branches. Essentially, I created 2 branches (Branch 1 for personalized links, and Branch 2 for anonymous link) after my initial Set Embedded Data in the flow:
1) If ExternalDataReference is Not Empty then authenticate w/ pre-filled fields and set embedded data
2) If ExternalDataReference is Empty then ask a question if they have their ID; If yes then display another authenticator w/o pre-filled values (because we don't have them) and set embedded data upon authentication; If No then take them straight to the survey

Userlevel 7
Badge +21

You could also skip the first authenticator entirely. Add display logic to the "Do you have your ID ?" question to only show it in case of an anonymous link. Something like if Q_CHL is empty.

Leave a Reply