can I pull in embedded data dynamically? | XM Community
Solved

can I pull in embedded data dynamically?

• 16 August 2018
  • 5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Respondent is in progress of filling out form. They provide data point X. I want to then do a call (API?) to a database (Oracle, Banner, etc.) that uses data point X to pull data and store in embedded data in the form to be used for the rest of the form. Is this possible? Or do all API calls have to happen before (or at beginning of) survey?
icon

Best answer by mattyb513 16 August 2018, 16:04

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 6
Badge +6
Yes, this is quite easy. The Survey Flow allows you to run Web Service requests (GET, POST, PUT, DELETE) from the Survey Flow mid survey. The requests must happen between blocks, so you'll need to organize your survey into multiple blocks.

You can use piped text referencing embedded data in the request, and save its contents as embedded data as well.

A common request here would be that someone puts in their ID, it makes a request to a server using that ID and grabs information about that person, and the rest of the survey is customized in that way.

These requests are made in the backend, not client side, so it is safe to include sensitive tokens within the requests, unlike making jQuery ajax requests from the client.
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
thanks!
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
> @mklubeck said:
> thanks!
>

Make sure to mark my answer as the Answer so others can easily see it and it leaves the "Unanswered" category. 🙂
Userlevel 6
Badge +8
Done. Unfortunately, there's no way to actually reply to your suggestion without creating a new comment (right?)
Userlevel 6
Badge +6
> @mklubeck said:
> Done. Unfortunately, there's no way to actually reply to your suggestion without creating a new comment (right?)

No - I wish there was the ability to comment on comments 😞 Like stackoverflow has

Leave a Reply