assigning embedded variable values based on ranking question results | XM Community
Solved

assigning embedded variable values based on ranking question results

• 3 September 2018
  • 5 replies

Hi al1

I have 5 vendors I'm ranking across 10 criteria, and want to score each vendor's rank for each criteria in an embedded variable. I need to do this because I need to do the scoring math in-survey. Is there a way to do this without creating a zillion IF branches? So vendor_a_criteria_1, vendor_a_criteria_2... vendor_a_criteria_10, vendor_b_criteria_1, vendor_b_criteria_2...

Alternate thought - can this be done real time using the API? This would be a bit of a hassle for us as we'd need to develop a program to do the math...
icon

Best answer by TomG 3 September 2018, 21:46

View original

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Using math operations you can calculate final score for each vendor. Depending on your algo or steps for final scoring or segmentation you can create embedded variable within survey or you can create at time of data analysis.
@bansalpeeyush29 Thanks for responding so quickly.

I know how to create embedded variables and how to do the math. The math needs o be done within the survey.

The issue is storing the rank values within the embedded variables. If ranking 5 things, there are 120 possible permutations. That would seem to mean 120 Survey Flow IF branches for each criteria that the vendors are ranked against. Forfor 10 criteria, that seems like 1,200 IF statements. I'm hoping there is an easier way.

What would be great if the question results (the way they are exported to a .cvs for analysis) would just be populated into the embedded variable, within the survey (real-time)
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
You have to do bulk upload or through postman, real time via CSV is not possible.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Tom_R,

I think you want to use a web service call. You can send all your ranks for all the vendors to the web service, have it calculate the scores and pass them back as embedded variables. If would eliminate the need for any survey flow branches.

You'll need to write a web service script using something like php or python that you host on a web server.
> @bansalpeeyush29 said:
> You have to do bulk upload or through postman, real time via CSV is not possible.

Thank you @bansalpeeyush29

Leave a Reply