How to use answers from earlier question responses in later survey questions | XM Community
Solved

How to use answers from earlier question responses in later survey questions

• 13 September 2018
  • 6 replies

Hi! I'm trying to find how I do the following: I have a measure which requests participants to list 5 qualities that they ideally would like to have. The measure then later asks participants to rank themselves against these qualities. Is there a way to pre-fill a matrix-table for them to rank with answers participants have provided from previous questions? If not, are there any other work-arounds that people can think of? Just as a side-note, this is the first time I've used any survey software and so I'm not familiar with some of the language or functionality that may or may not exist.
Thank you for your assistance!
icon

Best answer by PeeyushBansal 13 September 2018, 08:55

View original

6 replies

Just to clarify - the list of 5 qualities is participant generated (not chosen from an experimenter provided list)
Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Yes you can do this.

First you are asking 5 qualities , so make text entry question with 5 boxes where respondent will enter qualities in text format.

Now make another question ranking or any other of your requirement and here you can PIPE the answers from previous question. So these options are dynamic for each record.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
Post matrix question, you should have 5 embedded data which should store which quality was ranked 1,2,3,4 and 5

so, embedded data 1 should hold the quality which ranked 1, embedded data 2 should hold the quality which ranked 2, likewise for the rest of the 3 embedded data....

Once you download the data than with the help of these embedded data you will come to know the ranking of qualities
Userlevel 2
Badge +1
Hey @CSonn ,

Step 1: Make a question of type Text Entry -> Text type(Form) with 5 form fields.
Step 2: Make another question of Matrix table type and "carry forward statement" from the question made at step 1
Userlevel 7
Badge +38
@CSonn you may find these pages helpful in combining everyone's suggestions.

1. Start with @bansalpeeyush29 suggestion to make one question with 5 text entry boxes and in the question text ask the respondent to enter only one quality in each box. (Set this up as a form, see section Variations and look for Form)
2. In your Rank Order question, pipe in the values from your form (see Piping from a Previous Question)
Thank you for the suggestions and easy to follow instructions - I really appreciate everyone's suggestions and time.

Leave a Reply