Recode Values VS Question Export Tags | XM Community

Recode Values VS Question Export Tags

• 14 September 2018
  • 10 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Hello Everyone,

Just wanted to clarify the function of recode values VS Question Export Tags.

As per my understanding, the recode values are data which is going to be seen in the data file while Question Export tags set the name of the question in the data file.

However, my query is if we change recode value of any option then the logic based on this option further in the survey needs to be adjusted or it is going to be automatically adjusted. Similarly, for Question Export Tags, if we change/modify this field for any option, do we need to take care of the logic based on this option further in the survey.

Please let us know your thoughts on my query.

Thanks,
Salim

10 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +33
Logic will update automatically, it will reflect changes in data only, apply simple logics, logics will not get affected.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi @salimlko ,

Logic is not dependent on the recoded values. Logic is based only on qualtrics assigned text or values that it show when you add display logic. Recoded values are only for data analysis or variables renaming.
Hello @salimlko ,

Question Export tag is just used to distinguish the column titles for each statement in the exported data, so change of recode value or Question Export tag dosen't effect the logic.
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
Thanks Guys, so it means if from Q1/Q2 we have applied display logic at each option of Q3 and set advance randomization to display maximum of three options. In this case if we change the recode values or Question export tags at Q1/Q2, it will not affect logic at Q3. Am I right? Also does the recode values and question Export tags will be affected at Q3 due to the changes at Q1/Q2?
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
You are right
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Nothing at affected at successor question
> @salimlko said:
> Thanks Guys, so it means if from Q1/Q2 we have applied display logic at each option of Q3 and set advance randomization to display maximum of three options. In this case if we change the recode values or Question export tags at Q1/Q2, it will not affect logic at Q3. Am I right? Also does the recode values and question Export tags will be affected at Q3 due to the changes at Q1/Q2?

The logic at Q3 will not be affected, also recode values and question Export tags will be not be affected at Q3
Userlevel 1
Badge +4
In case of carry forward, I guess it will copy the recode values/Question export tags from the preceding question on which logic is based.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
No, you have to recode again here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +20
For each question and option of the question, Qualtrics generates a unique ID (i.e. Question ID and Options ID) which is unchangeable. All the logic are based on those IDs.

So, you can safely change the recode value and export tag and it will get adjusted automatically.

Leave a Reply