Max Diff | XM Community
Solved

Max Diff

• 1 November 2018
  • 9 replies

I'm trying to create a simple survey that consists of one Max Diff exercise. I see in the Solutions menu this is an option, but when I start to create my survey I only see options to add a Conjoint. I don't need a full conjoint. How do you add a Max Diff?
icon

Best answer by TomG 1 November 2018, 18:32

View original

9 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
MaxDiff is just a type of Matrix Question. Basically, it just gives you the format of the question. You'll probably want to put the MaxDiff question in a loop & merge block and enter your MaxDiff items as fields (one row per question), then pipe the fields into your MaxDiff question. You can use the loop & merge settings to randomize and present the MaxDiff question X times.
@TomG - I understand it is a matrix question... but there is a specific design behind it. Is Qualtrics able to design the MaxDiff and output the analysis?
Userlevel 5
Badge +36
Change the question type to matrix table and select the MaxDiff option.

!
Hello @lisagriebel ,

Please see the following pages:
* Blog
* Support page
@dpbra021 - Thank you! Now I see where you add that question type. However, this still is relying on me to identify the sets of items that are shown, the order of items, and the number of iterations. Is Qualtrics able to design a MaxDiff?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @lisagriebel said:
> @TomG - I understand it is a matrix question... but there is a specific design behind it. Is Qualtrics able to design the MaxDiff and output the analysis?
>

@lisagriebel,

No, unless they've added something I don't know about recently, Qualtrics doesn't do the MaxDiff design or the analysis.

We frequently use MaxDiffs in our surveys. We use Excel to do the design, implement the design in Qualtrics, and do the analysis in SPSS. For a couple of data related issues, we actually don't use the Qualtrics MaxDiff question. Instead, we use a transposed Likert Matrix and modify the format and behavior with JavaScript.
I am facing the same problem now. @lisagrebrel have you figured it out?
Is Qualtrics able to design a MaxDiff?
You probably found this out already but yes, they do have a dedicated max diff feature now that is out there.

Leave a Reply