Pipe in the survey expiration date (for survey invitation)? | XM Community
Solved

Pipe in the survey expiration date (for survey invitation)?

• 6 December 2018
  • 6 replies

Badge +2
I think the answer to my question is going to be "no," but before I give up entirely, I wanted to ask it here. :)

Is there a way (a bit of metadata, perhaps) to pipe in a survey's expiration date into the survey invitation? E.g., in the same way that you can insert piped text for the survey link or the opt-out link?

The best workaround we've come up with is to include the survey close date as a filed in the launching file, then pipe it into the invitation and reminder as a field name. That works alright, but it would be preferable to somehow input it from the survey metadata itself so that it can be formatted appropriately in every language we use for the survey launches (e.g., November 4, 2018 would display as 11/4/2018 in American English but 4.11.2018 in German).

I see that you can pipe in some pre-determined dates and times, including today, one week from now, one month from now, etc., but we would need a customized version of that. Any ideas?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by TomG 7 December 2018, 16:39

View original

6 replies

Hello @Cassiopeia ,

Since the expiration date for a survey is fixed, we can update the mailing list embedded data expiration date field format based on the language of the recipient
Badge +2
Hi @Shashi ,

Thanks. That does work, but I was hoping there might be a less manual way (like through the date/time metadata variables) that is less prone to errors. We can certainly enter the expiration date values in the launching file pre-formatted based on the recipient's language, but because we use several languages, it would be easy for the person preparing the launching file to make careless errors. And anytime I can automate and idiot-proof a data cleaning step like this, I try to do so. :)

Does anyone know of a way to create a custom date/time value from the metadata menu? Or another solution? I might just be out of luck, but I'm an optimist...
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Cassiopeia,

I don't know if this will help, but you can pipe year, month and day separately from one another. So to pipe two months from today...

American English:
```
${date://OtherDate/m/+2 month}/${date://OtherDate/d/+2 month}/${date://OtherDate/Y/+2 month}
```

German:
```
${date://OtherDate/d/+2 month}.${date://OtherDate/m/+2 month}.${date://OtherDate/Y/+2 month}
```
Badge +2
@TomG Oh interesting! Would replacing "2 month" with, for example, "3 week" or "22 day" work as well? If so, this might be a really good solution!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Cassiopeia said:
> @TomG Oh interesting! Would replacing "2 month" with, for example, "3 week" or "22 day" work as well? If so, this might be a really good solution!

I know day works. I'm not sure about week...you can try it easily enough.
Badge +2
@TomG That works perfectly! (And yes, week works as well.) Thank you so much!

Leave a Reply