Side by Side Question - Column 2 depends on Choice in Column 1 | XM Community
Solved

Side by Side Question - Column 2 depends on Choice in Column 1

• 6 December 2018
  • 4 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +21
I really like the features of the Side by Side Question since it can really shorten the number of pages in a Survey, but I have a question to the Qualtrics Team and User Community, regarding this question.

For Column 1, I would like to ask a simple Yes/No Question.

For Column 2, If the User selects No in Column 1, then the Ratings in Column 2 should not show.

Here is an example:
!
icon

Best answer by TomG 7 December 2018, 14:34

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 3
Badge +2
I would suppose that this logic only works in "loop & merge". But as you emntioned, you want to keep the number of pages short....
Just as an idea, you could let the respondents answer the scale and clean / filter the results later. Or compare them, based on whether they said yes / no in the left column.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@GeorgeIssa,

You could write JS to hide or disable the radio buttons in the second column if No is selected in the first column, and show or enable them if Yes is selected in the first column. In your example, you can't really hide the whole second column unless No is selected for every row.

The problem with side-by-side questions is mobile compatibility. For a general sample, over 50% of people take surveys on mobile devices. Unless you know your audience are overwhelming using non-mobile devices, it is best to avoid side-by-side questions.
Userlevel 4
Badge +21
Thank you @Pat and @TomG for providing your insight.
Userlevel 4
Badge +21
@Sams -Saw your reply to the following post: https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/3323/side-by-side-validation#latest

- Can you please review and provide instructions on how I can accomplish this?

For instance, if you weren't alive during the Presidency of Jimmy Carter, and Clicked No, then the Other Choices to Rate or add Comments should be disabled.

I am currently using this question, for my Survey Respondents to say, if they have worked with a specific department and how they would rate their performance and add comments.

The problem is, some users will click, No to the Question, Have you Worked with this Department and then click a Rating and or add Comments.

Yes, I know I can create a question with Carry-Forward Choices for the first part of the question and then ask them to rate each Department, but with 12 Main Departments, and each main having several subs, I don't want a 12 Page Survey to go to 24 Pages.

Leave a Reply