Solved

Excluding categories from Random Subset based on Q Responses

• 10 December 2018
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
  • Level 5 ●●●●●
  • 544 replies
Hello all- I have a set of two questions of concern. One which asks respondents to select the state they reside in, and a second which asks respondents to rate the attractiveness of other states.

!

I want to ensure that respondents are asked to rate their home state. However, in displaying a subset of other states, I also want to make sure their home state doesn't appear twice. As it this set up on the screen shot, their home state and the other states present might mean 2 "Kentucky"s appear.

Is there a way to ensure that the home state does not appear twice?

If I try to carry forward and use advanced randomization, for some reason the "Selected choice" ends up on the random subset category which I do not prefer. Furthermore- it may still display twice, correct?

!
icon

Best answer by TomG 10 December 2018, 17:56

View original

3 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@Kate,

You could add display logic to all the fixed states in the second question so they are only displayed if they are NOT selected in the first question. Then under Advanced Randomization
your piped state goes under "Randomized Choices" and all your fixed states go under "Random Subset".
Userlevel 7
Badge +19
> @TomG said:
> @Kate,
>
> You could add display logic to all the fixed states in the second question so they are only displayed if they are NOT selected in the first question. Then under Advanced Randomization
> your piped state goes under "Randomized Choices" and all your fixed states go under "Random Subset".

Thanks @TomG! It's not _quite_ that but you did jog my thinking skills. It is literally as simple as only carrying forward the unselected choices, and adding the piping in the selected choice. Same advanced randomization applies, of course!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Kate said:
> Thanks @TomG! It's not _quite_ that but you did jog my thinking skills. It is literally as simple as only carrying forward the unselected choices, and adding the piping in the selected choice. Same advanced randomization applies, of course!
Ah, got it. When I looked at your first image, it made me think you were only including a subset of states in your question, not all of them.

Leave a Reply