Matrix Follow-up Questions | XM Community
Solved

Matrix Follow-up Questions

• 19 January 2019
  • 6 replies

I am trying to do a large matrix with an open-ended question every time the individual selects _important _or _extremely important_ as a response option.

!
I did this by creating a separate question for each response and using display logic.
!

I ran into trouble because since I wrote the follow-up question multiple times, after the individual responds to the follow-up question for their _important_ response__it takes them to the follow-up question for the very next response option even if they did not select _important_ on that one. I tried to do a loop and merge and it appeared that it would not let me select only two of the likert options within a matrix.

Any suggestions besides separating the matrix into all separate questions?
icon

Best answer by TomG 19 January 2019, 21:59

View original

6 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
The way you did it should have worked, but it sounds like your display logic on some of the follow-up questions was incorrect.

You can use Loop & Merge for this as follows:
1. After your matrix question (and a page break), create a MC question with all your matrix statements as choices, and add display logic to each row to display if important or extremely important was selected in the Matrix question. Hide the question with JS (`jQuery("#"+this.questionId).hide();`) If it is on its own page, you'll also have to have JS click the Next button.
2. Set up your Loop & Merge block to loop off the displayed choices in your hidden question.
3. Add your open end question to the loop. Pipe in `${lm://Field/1}` where the statement text should display.
Thanks for the suggestions TomG. I have tried to implement them, but the Loop & Merge Block is not displaying

!

!

Any suggestions of what I can do about this?

Thanks!
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
In the loop & merge setup, make sure you pick Displayed choices and _not_ Selected choices from your hidden question.
Displayed is selected. Any other ideas of what would cause a block to not show up?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @crivera said:
> Displayed is selected. Any other ideas of what would cause a block to not show up?

The question the Loop & Merge block is referencing was never displayed? (you have to hide it with JavaScript, NOT display logic).
The entire Loop & Merge block is not displaying. I used the JavaScript you provided.

Leave a Reply