Merging output of question responses in different conditions/blocks | XM Community
Solved

Merging output of question responses in different conditions/blocks

• 6 February 2019
  • 2 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi All,

I'm developing a survey study with multiple conditions. I have 6 blocks for each of the different conditions, and I apply a randomizer in the survey flow to randomly assign a condition to each participant, and capture the assigned condition using an embedded data field. However, when I export the data, each question in each block is assigned a separate column. Is there any way that I can merge questions across blocks so they output in the same column? I have labeled each question in the same way across each block (see below example, current output, and desired output). I could do post export processing, but I wanted to check that there was not an easy way to achieve this result without post export processing.

Example survey layout:
Block 1
Q1
Q2
Q3

Block 2
Q1
Q2
Q3

Block 3
Q1
Q2
Q3

Current Output
Q1,Q2,Q3,Q1,Q2,Q3,Q1,Q2,Q3
1, 0, 1
-----------0, 1, 0
--------------------1, 1, 1

Desired output:
Q1,Q2,Q3
1, 0, 1
0, 1, 0
1, 1, 1
icon

Best answer by Kate 6 February 2019, 19:57

View original

2 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +19
I think this is best accomplished in Excel or SPSS when you're trying to interpret the data. But if you're trying to do it all in in Qualtrics for dashboarding purposes....

Create new embedded data categories that capture the data. So create a new embedded data field, "EDQ1= " "EDQ2= " after each block. Capture all the data after each block. But it will only register once for every respondent if they only see one block. Everything will be captured in 1 column for you.
Userlevel 1
Badge +1
Hi Kate,

Thank you for your quick reply this is very useful and exactly what I am after!!

BR

Mark

Leave a Reply