Display but not record a text response. | XM Community
Solved

Display but not record a text response.

• 13 March 2019
  • 6 replies

Hello

I have a text entry question for which I want the participant's response to be a part of the survey (the response is used as piped text for subsequent questions) but not be recorded and included when I download the data. I have tried the "Exclude from analysis" option but it doesnt work because it still records the information (just does not show it when the option is checked). Is there a way to display but not record the information at all.

Any help is appreciated!
icon

Best answer by Anonymous 15 March 2019, 15:43

View original

6 replies

Hello @salomi ,

The below solution will work if in survey option we have "delete" option selected in partial completion

In descriptive text question type, you can create input text using custom HTML, store the value of text field in embedded data using JS.

Before the end of survey update the value of that embedded data as "-" or something else.
Sorry, but I didnt quite understand your response. Can you please elaborate a bit? Thank you for your time!
Hello @salomi ,

Assuming you don't want to capture the text entry answer nor the embedded data.

Step 1: Create an embedded data('HiddenED') in the survey flow as the first element.

Step 2: Replace the text entry question with descriptive type question and paste the below code in the js(OnReady) of descriptive question

var i ='<input type="text" class="InputText" /><br>';
jQuery(i).insertAfter("#"+this.questionId+" .QuestionText");

jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .InputText").on('blur',function(){
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'HiddenED', jQuery(this).val() );
});

Step 3: Use/Pipe HiddenED embedded data where required

Step 4: Before end of survey update the embedded data ('HiddenED') in the survey flow as "-"

The step 4 will update the embedded data to "-" and hence in the data & analysis tab "-" will be captured.

Note : The above solution will work if in survey option we have "delete" option selected in partial completion.
Badge +1

Hi! 

This code seems to work :)
My issue is that I need multiple lines in the text entry box (not just a small little box). Does anyone know how to change the code below to accommodate this?

var i ='<input type="text" class="InputText" /><br>';
jQuery(i).insertAfter("#"+this.questionId+" .QuestionText");

jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" .InputText").on('blur',function(){
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.setEmbeddedData( 'HiddenED', jQuery(this).val() );
});

Thanks a lot!

Userlevel 4
Badge +15

@catiaalves just change the first line to 

var i ='<textarea type="text" class="InputText" ></textarea><br>';

Thanks,

Jagdish