How to carry forward unselected AND undisplayed choices | XM Community
Solved

How to carry forward unselected AND undisplayed choices

Hi There!

I am trying to create and exercise where I have a lot of pictures loaded into a question (50) and the respondent has to go through 50 questions to get to a final picture. The way I am trying to do this is to have the original question with all of the pictures loaded in. Once they are loaded, I used the advanced randomization tool to create a random subset to only show 4. After this, on the next question, I piped in the selected choice and then tried to carry forward the unselected and undisplayed choices, but this was not on option, those are two exclusive options.

I thought unselected would also display the not shown choices, but that is not the case. Is it at all possible to carry forward both of these without having to go through tons of display logic work?

Thanks!
icon

Best answer by TomG 15 March 2019, 18:57

View original

10 replies

Badge
Hi @Cmadhouse,

Yes applying display logic to the options is the only solution.

Thanks,
Bhushan
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
I might be misunderstanding, but if your intent is to pipe the selected choice and carryover the unselected and undisplayed choices, isn't that all the choices? You can carryover all the choices by choosing displayed and hidden.
> @TomG said:
> I might be misunderstanding, but if your intent is to pipe the selected choice and carryover the unselected and undisplayed choices, isn't that all the choices? You can carryover all the choices by choosing displayed and hidden.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your response! That is a good point, but there are 50 total possible choices, but I only want to display 4 in each question. My thinking was that if I chose that option, the selected choice has a chance of not showing, is this correct? Is there a way to always get the selected choice to show if I used this option?
> @Cmadhouse said:
> > @TomG said:
> > I might be misunderstanding, but if your intent is to pipe the selected choice and carryover the unselected and undisplayed choices, isn't that all the choices? You can carryover all the choices by choosing displayed and hidden.
>
> Hi Tom,
>
> Thanks for your response! That is a good point, but there are 50 total possible choices, but I only want to display 4 in each question. My thinking was that if I chose that option, the selected choice has a chance of not showing, is this correct? Is there a way to always get the selected choice to show if I used this option?

Sorry, to clarify, I want to display them randomly in each question using the random subset option.
Badge
Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding. Is your requirement to display unselected and not displayed options from the previous question?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Cmadhouse said:
> Thanks for your response! That is a good point, but there are 50 total possible choices, but I only want to display 4 in each question. My thinking was that if I chose that option, the selected choice has a chance of not showing, is this correct? Is there a way to always get the selected choice to show if I used this option?
You could pipe the selected choice and carryover displayed and hidden choices (and randomly display three of them), then use JavaScript to look for the selected choice among the carryover choices and hide if it is displayed. However, when it is displayed, there will be one less choice in the question (if you show the selected choice, plus three random carryover choices for four total, if the selected choice is also one of the carryover's there will only be three choices displayed).
> @Bhushan_Ugam said:
> Correct me if I am wrong in my understanding. Is your requirement to display unselected and not displayed options from the previous question?

Yes, well to carry them forward into the randomization that is set to randomize and spit out 3 of the unselected and undisplayed responses and then I set piping logic to bring in the selected response from the last question.
> @TomG said:
> > @Cmadhouse said:
> > Thanks for your response! That is a good point, but there are 50 total possible choices, but I only want to display 4 in each question. My thinking was that if I chose that option, the selected choice has a chance of not showing, is this correct? Is there a way to always get the selected choice to show if I used this option?
> You could pipe the selected choice and carryover displayed and hidden choices (and randomly display three of them), then use JavaScript to look for the selected choice among the carryover choices and hide if it is displayed. However, when it is displayed, there will be one less choice in the question (if you show the selected choice, plus three random carryover choices for four total, if the selected choice is also one of the carryover's there will only be three choices displayed).
>

Interesting! I was kind of afraid of the response not showing, but that may be okay for my application of this. I'm not too well versed in JavaScript, do you know what that code may look like?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
> @Cmadhouse said:
> Interesting! I was kind of afraid of the response not showing, but that may be okay for my application of this. I'm not too well versed in JavaScript, do you know what that code may look like?
```
Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" input[choiceid=x${q://QIDxx/SelectedChoicesRecode}]").closest("li").hide();
});
```
where QIDxx is the QID of the first question.
> @TomG said:
> > @Cmadhouse said:
> > Interesting! I was kind of afraid of the response not showing, but that may be okay for my application of this. I'm not too well versed in JavaScript, do you know what that code may look like?
> ```
> Qualtrics.SurveyEngine.addOnload(function() {
> jQuery("#"+this.questionId+" input[choiceid=x${q://QIDxx/SelectedChoicesRecode}]").closest("li").hide();
> });
> ```
> where QIDxx is the QID of the first question.
>
>

Thank you so much!

Leave a Reply