is it possible to randomize question on every loop? | XM Community
Question

is it possible to randomize question on every loop?

• 27 March 2019
  • 5 replies

Hello,

I'm running a survey where a block is being looped X number of times, however I noticed that the question order is only randomized once and the order that questions are displayed is the same for every loop.
I am using advanced randomization for the randomizing questions part, and a loop and merge where the number of loops is determined from a question.

5 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +27
Yes, that's how it works...and the way one would want it to work most of the time. It would be confusing for a respondent to see the same questions again, but in a different order each time.
Thank you for responding @TomG .
For my experimental design I need the order of all questions in all loops to be random. Is there a way to truly randomize questions?
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
They are randomized across respondents. I don't think there is a way to randomize for an individual respondent. So, if that is a requirement, you'll have make your loops individual blocks under a survey flow randomizer.

Thanks Tom for the answers!
So, I put one question/block, and I put all the blocks under Randomizer as you said.
My question is: How do I Loop and Merge the Randomizer?
My survey need 2 things:
1) Loop and Merge to show different paragraphs
2) Randomized 10 questions about the given paragraph
Would you suggest any design structure for this survey?

Userlevel 7
Badge +27

https://www.qualtrics.com/community/discussion/comment/30830#Comment_30830There is no way to loop within a Qualtrics survey flow. The only thing you can loop in Qualtrics is a question block. There are two possible solutions for you:

1. If your 10 questions can be on the same page, you can use a loop & merge block and randomized the 10 questions with JavaScript.

2. Otherwise, each paragraph and its associated questions have to be a separate block. The questions in each block would be randomized and the blocks would be under a survey flow randomizer.

Leave a Reply