Maintaining External Reference ID across surveys? | XM Community
Solved

Maintaining External Reference ID across surveys?

• 3 April 2019
  • 4 replies

Say I have two surveys: A and B. Is there a way to ensure that a respondent's External Reference ID from Survey A is captured in the Embedded Data of Survey B, if they got to Survey B via an End of Survey redirect after completing Survey A?
icon

Best answer by JenCX 3 April 2019, 20:25

View original

4 replies

Userlevel 7
Badge +11
If you add them to your contact list at the end of survey A (or before survey A), then yes! You can declare the name of your ID at the beginning of your survey flow and leave it blank to be filled by panel (which is your contact list).
Thanks! I tried that with some test surveys, and I can see the Custom ID field when I download the data for Survey A, but when I download the data file of responses to Survey B, the Custom ID field is blank. I set it in the Survey B Survey Flow as Custom ID (pulled from Contact List) and left it blank so it would be filled by panel (same as for Survey A). Is there something I'm missing? Is it not capturing the IDs from A because people are coming to B via a redirect at the end of Survey A? They're not being contacted a second time. It's just an automatic kick out to the next survey.
Userlevel 7
Badge +11
@JBaron Did you add them to your contact list at the end of Survey A? You'll need to do that in order to have the info in Survey B populate.

If not, you can see how to set up a contact list trigger here.
Userlevel 7
Badge +27
@JBaron,

If you are redirecting from survey A to survey B, then the respondents in survey B aren't going to be associated to a contact list unless you include an authenticator in survey B. Assuming you don't want to add an authenticator, you can pass the External Reference ID from survey A to survey B as a url parameter. You would pipe the value into your redirect url. In survey B, just define the name of the url parameter as an embedded data field (anything other than ExternalReferenceData) and leave it blank to be populated from the url.

Leave a Reply